"Buckingham Va. Slate" vs. "Va. Slate... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » "Buckingham Va. Slate" vs. "Va. Slate from buckingham co."?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diyguy (Diyguy)
Username: Diyguy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently been working on many roofing projects in the area and have visited both quarries. Although timing may have been an issue at Buckingham Virginia Slate, you will be pleased to know that they are under new ownership and the service that they provide is outstanding. As far as differences in color between Buckingham Virginia Slate and Virginia Slate products: if you visit Buckingham-Va Slate you will find that they have many different colors of slate to choose from and ALL of it is quarried right there- not imported. The reputation and quality certainly speak for themselves. As a bit of a greeny, another benefit for me was that it is local, which cuts down on pollution from shipping. I have been very pleased so far!

Kit (Kit)
Username: Kit

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have large pieces of slate chalkboard from a public school. I would like to use these as countertops for our new kitchen. I don't how to have them finished or cut. Any suggestions?

Jojo (Jojo)
Username: Jojo

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a note for those who have done business with Lesueur Richmond Slate in Arvonia Virginia, as of November 12, 2008 it was purchased by 3 Richmond area businessmen who are striving to keep up with quality and demand and are currently stocking up the inventory so that you do not run in to problems of the past........so don't count them out as i can assure you that they are more customer service oriented!

thomas
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are going to put a slate roof on our house, and have decided to use new slates from Buckingham County Virginia (based on the durability of the slate as well as the proximitity to our house site). There are two suppliers that I know of from that region. "Buckingham Virginia Slate Corporation" and the "Virginia Slate Company." The first company owns the trademark to "Buckingham Virginia Slate." The second company, Virginia Slate Company, has a quarry in the same region but can not sell their slate as "Buckingham Slate". I have ordered samples from both companies in an effort to see if there are any differences betweeen the slates offered by the two companies. Based on the few samples that I have in my hands, the "Buckingham Virginia Slates" (tm) seem to be a little lighter in color, with more of the shiny (quartz?) speckles. The blue-black slate from Virginia Slate Company seems to be a little darker without nearly as many of the sparkles.

My question is...

Is there an appreciable difference between the two new slates being quarried in Buckingham County Virginia? Is the slate offered by Virginia Slate Company a reasonable substitute for the trademarked "Buckingham Slates"?

Thanks in adavance to anyone who can shed some light on this subject!

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Virginia Slate Company's SLate is Imported from China they do not supply true buckingham slate. You will find when you ask them about this they will dance around the question and not give you a straight answer. This is not to say it is not good slate it is just not Buckingham.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you deal with Buckingham in Arvonia, be VERY careful. Do not put money down or sign anything. If I were you, I would drive there, and look at their operation. I would carefully inspect what they have in stock, and if they have a quantity of slate that is acceptable, I would spray paint the edges of all the slates that you can, and spray paint the pallets with a bright unique color, so that you will be insured of receiving the same material that you looked at.

I would go one step further, and be there just prior to loading to insure your slates ARE being loaded. One final thought.......inspect the slates again before they get off the truck, because legally they are still the property of the quarry UNTIL they come off the truck......even if you have paid in full *NOT SMART * Once the slates come off the truck, you have ACCEPTED the order, and legally you have little ground to stand on after that. There are some very bad unethical business practices going on in Arvonia IMHO, and if you ultimately get burned by not taking my advice.......you were warned.

If I were to advise you further on your slate purchase, I would advise you to stay away from Buckingham Slate Co. in Arvonia Va.

Good luck with your slate project.

thomas
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you to both of the posters above. I guess what I'm hearing (loud and clear) is buyer-beware. I know Virginia Slate Co. sells several varieties of imported slate, but if what they say is true, they also sell slate quarried right in Virginia. I hope to visit both Buckingham quarries (6 hours from my house) before making a decision on which company to use. One quoted me $515/sq. and the other quoted $500/square. When it is time to buy the slate, I will be riding in the semi-tractor-trailer that picks up the slate. If anyone else has advice on Buckingham slates (of the anonymous sort), the email address attached to this posting is valid and I would really appreciate hearing from you - especially if you can save me some grief! Thanks.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although Virginia Slate Company does have a quarry in Virginia, their blue-black roofing slate is from China. It is extremely hard and does not cut well. I would stick with the Buckingham or consider North Country Unfading Black. You may also want to look into using reclaimed Buckingham slate as an alternative.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the slates from virginia slates are from China they do not have their own quarry. They buy all their products from Chin slate limited in England. Which coincedentally has a very poor reputation for quality.

Steve T.
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What sizes are you looking for in buckingham. I have quit a bit in stock it is salvaged but not very old and if you know buckingham it is just as good as the day it was made??

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a slate roofer in Richmond, Virginia, about an hour away from Buckingham County. I have used slates from both quarries and have found that I prefer to work with the “Virginia Slate company.”
Since “Virginia slate” shut down operations at their quarry about a year ago, their lead times and quality control have greatly improved. The imported product is packaged in nicer pallets, is very uniform in size and color and has held up very well in Richmond’s climate. I like American products too, but it is hard to argue when you actually get the product on time and it is of the quality you expected.

John Rawls
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomas,

To answer your question, there is no appreciable difference between the quality of the two companies' slates. I substitute "Virginia Slate Company" for "Buckingham Slate" on a regular basis because they usually have what I need in inventory, or can provide me with an honest and accurate lead time. Good luck with your project; either product will preform about the same, but the hassel factor at Buckingham is unbelievable.

John Rawls
Arlington, VA

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An unbelievable hassle factor is putting it mildly. I went there and picked out some pallets full of slate, and when they were delivered guess what ?! Somebody did the old switcheroo, and I got some real crappy slate. I was told I would have to agree to pay a 25 % restocking fee, along with some other expenses which amounted to about $3000 AND I would be liable for any and all broked slates before they would accept the slates with prepaid shipping. They faxed me a consent form to sign agreeing to their demands.

My attorney was able to negotiote the return of the slates with no restocking fee's at my expense and I paid shipping, but once Buckingham got the slates back, they said that the slated I shipped back weren't their slates, and they were filing action to sue me.

These people are beyond low life, and John Boston who is the guy at the top, is the lowest of them all.

Moral of the story, unless you are one of the good old boys who routinely does business with Buckingham, STAY AWAY !

STEVE
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THATS THE WAY IT IS WITH ALL IMPORTED SLATE SOME GOOD AND ALOT BAD. FROM A QUARRYING AND ROOFING POINT OF VEIW NOTHING WILL EVER COMPARE TO THE ORIGINAL BUCKINGHAM BLUE BLACK SLATE FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN OF IT, IT IS EVEN BETTER THAN VERMONT SLATE. YOU GUYS CAN AVOID ALL THIS BY BUYING VERMONT SLATE AND NORTH COUNTRY FOR BLACK. ALWAYS GOOD ALL THE TIME
THEY DO NOT QUARRY THE BUCKINGHAM ANY MORE BECAUSE IN MY OPINION IT WAS EASY TO IMPORT AND SELL SLATE A BROKER THAN HAVING TO MINE AND DO PHYSICAL LABOR

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

which slate did you choose and how was the experience?

garrett oneill
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is anyone's experience of the "nu-lok" system, using natural rather than ceramic slates? And does anyone think it will last 100 - 150 years as a traditional system does here in Ireland?

Joe Jenkins (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look under Slate Roof Central Message Board: Slate Roofs: Nu-lok installation system

bjlightfoot
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am absolutely appalled at what I have read here on this website. I work at Buckingham-Virginia Slate Co. in Arvonia, and wish to clear up a few statements here. First of all, WE DO HAVE A QUARRY HERE IN ARVONIA, AND WE BLAST OUT OF IT ALMOST DAILY. We work our men 6 days a week, 10 hours a day to put out the orders we have. We are not getting our slate from China as reported here. It is all quarried right here, and daily. I can understand why these "chickens" are signing as "anonymous" too, because they are telling real humdingers. These are disgruntled customers who just want something,for nothing &skip out without paying. I know who they are from the tales they have told, and I need say nothing further on that. Our slate speaks for itself, and we have hundreds of happy customers to attest to that. My grandfather worked here in this quarry from the 50's until he retired in the 80's. I have been around this quarry all my life, and worked here myself since 2002. Our only issue here, that upsets our customers, and understandably so is the "time" issue. When we have extreme weather, and cannot work, or have some really bad rock coming from the quarry, we cannot produce our orders in a timely fashion. And though we would like to, we cannot predict when "Mother Nature" will bring that forth. The beauty of our slate is that it is indeed "natural". We still split our roofing by hand! I would reccommend anyone who is on the fence about Buckingham-Virginia Slate to come down here to our plant, take a tour, and watch first-hand how we do the blast to get the rock out of the ground, load it onto the large Euks to deliver up here to our sawhouse where it is milled for roofing, or structural pieces. If it isn't any good for those items, it is shipped up to the crusher where we make crushed stone. It is an amazing process to watch, and an absolute joke that someone would say that we don't quarry here in Arvonia anymore, because we don't want to do the labor. Our employees would be affended that someone thinks they're not working... Also, there is a company selling slate, and passing it off as Buckingham, but rest assured, it is not us, and it only gives us a black-eye. We know they are in existance, and know who THEY are, and so do our customers. There is a difference.
And finally, there is no "switcheroo" here. What would we gain? Our reputation is on the line! So, yes, Buyer beware....and from which company you are purchasing from!

admin
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Admin will delete all messages posted on this message board that contain offensive language or are potentially libelous. It is illegal to make derogatory public accusations against a business that are not true. If a customer is not satisfied with the services or products a business has provided, they are welcome to state their dissatisfaction on this web site, so long as their statements are truthful and not a matter of dispute or litigation. It is not up to the administrator of this website to determine the truthfullness of claims made here, and as we do not want to get involved in litigations, we will delete postings that are litigious, especially if posted anonymously with no return email address.

If you want to honestly describe on this message board a dissatisfactory business relationship with a slate company, include your name and return email address with your posting and refrain from insults. That's your best chance of not having your message deleted.

thomas
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to everyone who has posted here. It has been a real eye opener. We are much closer to roofing our house than when I first posted this thread, but no closer to finding a dependable source of new buckingham slate. Ours is a timberframe house that we are building ourselves with wood and stone from our farm. If anyone is interested in timberfame style houses, here's a description of how we are building the house: http://massiehouse.blogspot.com

FWIW, not to throw any mud, just stating the facts: Virginia Slate Company (not to be confused with the Buckingham Virginia Slate Corporation) did really dance around a lot when asked directly if they could sell me slate from Virginia. I am led to believe that they prefer to sell only foreign slate. That's OK, I just wish they would say it. I might have unwittingly ended up with foreign slate if not alerted to this fact by posters on this board - many thanks.

More facts: I got a quote from an established slate company in Columbus, OH (I won't mention their name) to roof the house and provide copper and Buckingham slate where necessary. Although we spent 4 hours with the estimator describing the job to him, the quote he eventually gave us was just one _really_ big dollar figure and one short sentence. It lacked any real details (which we had requested in our 4 hours with him) of the work to be performed (# of squares, warranty if any, gauge of copper, used or new slate, thickness of slate, time to complete, underlayment if any, chamfers on slate, etc.). This company does a lot of big churches and municipal jobs, and admittedly we're on the edge of their region, so I'm not sure whether they took us seriously... but we were disappointed.

In conclusion, we're now leaning heavily toward buying new Vermont slate and putting it on ourselves. Our house will have a domestic slate roof though - we are not giving up on that!

slateworks
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If You are looking for a good Black slate go with North Country Black,I believe it is from either Nova Scotia or Canada and the suppliers of new slate on this site should be able to help you.

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomas,
Ron (slateworks) above has given you excellent advice-available thru New England Slate Co.
I used 60 sq's. of it this last Summer and found it to be nice quality stock.

Steve T
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomas,

I come from a fourth generation slate quarry family in vermont,and we are also installing roofing now.feel free to email me with any questions about slate. where to buy it how it is made, You can even come up and tour our quarry in Vermont.We also sell slate.Or call 1 802 265 4506. I will be glad to help in any way. I also have some salvaged buckingham thats not very old.
Steve T.

Christopher Paulin
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomas,

We'd be glad to give a detailed estimate incorporating an accurate take-off from information provided us of your house, new slate from long established North American quarries, warranty, specification of oz. weight of CU intended for use, type of underlayment and several other items.

Give us a call or e-mail.

Regards,

Christopher Paulin
Paulin Slate & Copper Co.
www.paulinslate.com

thomas
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. I thought I'd let you know that we ordered Unfading Gray and Unfading Green slate from Camara Slate, and it arrived this week. The slates produced by Camara look absolutely fabulous - almost every slate in the shipment looks as good or better than the samples they sent me. I'll post some pictures after I get a little further along (hung the first 10 slates yesterday evening!)

-Thomas

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They do have a good quality slate. And Shawn is good to deal with--very knowledgeable in regards to slate.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration