American slate from brazil? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » American slate from brazil? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

China_ad_slate (China_ad_slate)
Username: China_ad_slate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 04:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That whether the slate is brittle or not depends on Sio2 content. It should be between 70%-75%. If too high, the slate is too brittle to worke hard. And Low CaO make the slate non-fading. ABC supply is the distributor of Evergreen. They are both in USA.

Any question, can contact me via email directly. nancy@adslate.net
Nancy Rao-shanghai AD slate Co., Ltd. ASTM-S1. Roofing slate manufacturer.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 571
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard that about some of the slate from Brasil. Very brittle and hard to work with. No oversight or control over the product either. Who do you complain to after you have paid for it and you "own" it?

Mossywyatt (Mossywyatt)
Username: Mossywyatt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

they are already on the house. I just got more for an addition and found it hard to work, very brittle. just wondering if any one else found it hard to work ? my only other experience was a roof that was 100 years old and it was so much easier to work.
wyatt

Epl (Epl)
Username: Epl

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward,
Very well said!!!! I agree completely.

Thank you,
Eric P. Loema

Sales | Salvage | Procurement

P (800) 699-5695 | F (815) 547-1425

Web: www.TileandSlateSales.com | www.ClayTileRoof.com

E-mail: epl@TileandSlateSales.com | epl@ClayTileRoof.com

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's my thought: Can supplier ABC or importer American Slate in California show us a roof with "Andes Cliff" on it that's at least 75 years old; you know, the limited warranty that they're offering? No? That's a problem.

The Andes mountains don't even pass through Brazil, which gives me pause. Is the stone quarried in Peru or Argentina, but exported out of Brazil? How many hands does it pass through? Where is the quarry? Any old roofs in the surrounding communities with this material on it?

Looks like good old sea green slate, 18x12's for $285/square, tried and true, quarried right here at home in Slate Valley NY/VT.

Mossywyatt (Mossywyatt)
Username: Mossywyatt

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any thoughts on "andes cliff" grey slate from brazil sold from abc supply http://www.americanslate.com/documents/AMS_DataSheet_Roof-AndesCliff.pdf
http://www.americanslate.com/natural-stone-roofing/AndesCliff.aspx
thanks wyatt

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration