Unfading clear black imported slate f... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Unfading clear black imported slate fading badly! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

China_ad_slate (China_ad_slate)
Username: China_ad_slate

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We own 3 quarries in Ziyang county, China and manufacture top quality black, green and rusty slate. Competitive price can be offered. Pls Email nancy@adslate.net or visit www.cnslate.com .
Nancy Rao
Shanghai AD slate Co., Ltd
ASTM-S1/EN12326 T1 S1 A1
Roofing slate manufacturer.
WEB: www.cnslate.com
TEL: 86-21-61910796
FAX: 86-21-62199550

Paramount Slate
Username: Paramount_slate

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it is interesting. two Spain gentlemen have been living at our quarries for 3 years. I found that they resell to other nations by the name of Spain Slate. I don't know other Spain companies. But please be honest to your customer. Now we stop the relationship until they correct their idea. Don't ask for too cheap, it is dangerous to sacrifice quality control. we offer direct quality.

Paramount Slate
Username: Paramount_slate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We do need the real test but not just acclaim by oath. Our Slate Rupture test, water absorption test, and weathering test are far more amazing. Our people stay at quarries and factories until packing on ship. If you want to match the data, come to our web: www.qualityslate.com. We concern your interest.

David
Username: Uslate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

China black can stain for at least 30 years without fading. If have time, please visit my website to know .http://www.uslate.com

Senior
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone had a similar experience. We purchased the slate from evergreen slate co. and it is already fading badly. slate also is extremely brittle.

admin
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only black slate that I know of that turns white is Italian. Most "clear black" imported slate is Spanish. You should contact Evergreen and ask them where the slate came from - the exact quarry of origin. If it's Italian, it will all probably turn white. If Spanish, it may weather to some browns, but shouldn't turn white. Most Spanish will stay black, although some have pyrites that turn rusty colored.

robin
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do u know what slate it is that turns so white.. I heard about this since long, but never seen them.. any links or so.. It just fades badly, or really turns clear white?

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Italian black slate turns white when exposed to the weather. That's probably why it's so popular for billiard tables. But it is used in Italy for roofs too. There are photos of this in the Slate Roof Bible, 2nd edition (http://www.slateroofcentral.com/store_books.html#srb)

slateworks
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes ,The Evergreen slate Company does quite a bit of Brokering-I am familiar with a Clear Black slate that was ordered for a roof 15 years ago thru Evergreen who acquired the Slate from a Company in Pa who acquired it from a Quarry in Spain ,the Slate failed,the Slate was full of pyrite & possibly other minerals,they had white & rust colored streaks and literally would split apart at those discolored areas..They did replace the Slate (material only) ,On the original invoice that was sent to the owners it stated the order was for: Vermont Clear Black Slate-We were not involed in the original roof,but we did install the new roof..When ordering new Slate one must ask questions about the origin and Quality of the Slate,& keep your Invoices,also have the Supplier type exactly what type of slate they are selling you just in case they fail. I also can say that we have recieved some excellent slate from Evergreen.

I have also seen Pennsylvania Black slate within 10 years turn white especially 2" to 4" around the outside edges of the exposed face.

robin
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the Vermont clear black comes from China nowadays (don't know since how long) China suppliers call it 'china black' if your order is large enough they ship direct too, and for a good price.. quality, delivery-time and even correct size are bit of a 'good luck-day-necessary'. So it's safer to order them trough Vermont I guess...

robin
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Joe, that's dirty mottled white or really egal white they turn?

ps. btw.. could u get me password for this site?

slateworks
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes they do send out samples of clear black stating it is Asian Slate or Spainish Slate ,We just installed a Vermont Grey Black Slate roof,after comparing samples the Vermont slate had a more textured appearance,the Asian Slate was to smooth & uniform for the customers taste.Plus the Vermont slate(S1 type) was cut a little heavier & has been around a while with very few early failures that I am aware of.. At least now they seem to be indentifying the type & source of slate ,Refering to my previous message although the invoice said Vermont clear black they knowingly sold the customer Spainish Slate,Hopefully that practice has changed.

admin
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robin - you don't need a password for this site.

The Italian slates turn kind of a grayish white - it may be mottled or it may be more uniform, depending.

admin
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a sample page out of the Slate Roof Bible at http://www.jenkinsslate.com/SRB2-sample-styles.html that shows black Italian slate that has turned color. It is the second photo down on the right side.

admin
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also the bottom left photo on the same page.

robin
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 05:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tx.. seems their slates have no cut edges? weird

admin
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The slates are 1/2" thick (twice as thick as standard slates) due to their high calcium content (thicker slates last longer). So they prefer to saw the edges and hook, rather than nail, the slates.

robin
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tx! very interesting... I have some slate here from pensyllvania.. really thick (2,5 - 3cm) size is approx 25,5 on 35,5 cm. It comes of the house of an international famous french moviestar where we did repairs.. Has great texture, really rough, with coloured lines (grey-green) in it.. anybody can tell me what it is.. They should be still avaiable as the roof is only 6 years old or so

right from the slate valley
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heres some more info on evergreen slate. They are brokers yes but they buy from all the little fly by night quarriers here in the slate valley. Most of these guys live week to week so they do not care about quality they just need to make as much slate as they can for the evergreen truck that comes friday to pick up their slate and drop a check. So if you place say a sea green order your slate will be coming from 5 or 6 different mines. which all have a little different colors and texture. Here is my first expeirence with evergreen slate.
We did a 12 square standard thickness unfading gree roof and the home owner had already bought they slate from evergreen. It took us almost 19 squares to do the roof. We had slate from 1/8 inch thick to 1/2" thick, alot bowed,twisted broke before it even got there. alot didn't even have nail wholes and they where all drilled not hand punched. and there was gray ,green, bright green, a mix of colors.

tmccdon
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have had similar experience with same on more than one occasion,general contractors buy the slate because of cheaper prices not realising that a larger than normal percentage will end up in container, we also have some customers on maintainance program with new roof but installers were not slaters and were unable to detect inferior slate leading to many weak slates being installed,slate then gets a bad name as being unreliable product and requiring a lot of unnecessary maintainance which of course is not the case

admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robin - you won't find a slate from Pennsylvania with green. Pennsylvania slate is black. The slate with green in it, if from the U.S., is probably from Vermont.

Joe

robin
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, is there a page on the messageboard where we can put pictures on? I know that there are lots of proffesionals in here (mostly US I guess, but I noticed some from te UK also). And sharing some work with some collegues could be great..

robin
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

damn, 95% of my mail gone lost..

robin
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, I'll start again.. Dealer (imports Vermont and hilltop) tod me it's pensylvania.. But it's all I know from this slate, got only two dozen of them (pieces) but every collegue and every client coming over here wants to know what it is..
I hoped (specially since it seems not to be from pa that some slaters, admins, or dealers on this list might be able to help me out..

description. Very thick (thickness like 4-5 spanish slates!) very rough texture and sides and very heavy 'ofcourse'. Not very common here in europe. It is grey with black marks (mottled)and some greenish shade and clear golden/brownish lines in it (metal). When they get wet (rain etc) they show a very blue-ish to lichtgreenisch shade of colour. OK, proffesionals, where are u?? should I sent pictures?

admin
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a Vermont slate.

We don't have a place to upload photos on this site yet. If you can upload photos to your own site or to an internet site and then paste the url in here, we can go look at the photos.

I think yahoo.com has a free photo album service.

Joe

robin
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kay, I'll know what to do on the next bad wheater day :-)

Peter
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robin, and All Roofers,

If you want to upload photos a very handy web site called www.roofersreview.com is still taking free entries.

I like it because not being tech minded for computers it's easy to load the photos.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley,

www.crawleyroofing.com

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

I had many beautiful seemingly black thick slate slabs turn
white. Found out later they were from Pennsylvania.
Paid top price. Unfortunately, no one would take responsibility.
It seems hard to find good slate slabs nowadays.

Esther R.

Jon
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In regards to the statement that was made regarding the origin of Vermont Clear Black, I produce a Vermont Clear Black from our quarry in Vermont. It is not a replacement for Buck or Peach Bottom. It is hard, and is usually rough textured. It will be drilled for nail holes. It will range from a gray to a dark black. It will weather to a variety of shades. The availability is spotty. It is one of the more beautiful roofs that can be installed. As a result, we are often back ordered. But I must warn the public, it is not chinese nor is it Spanish. It will not be smooth, monochromatic and arrive in an overseas crate.
If you recieve product that is sold as Vermont slate, it should really be from Vermont. In the event that this happens I recommend contacting the States Attorney for Vermont. They are very eager to pursue fraudulent individuals.
Jonathan Hill
Greenstone Slate Co.
Poultney, Vermont

Lou
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cannot beleive you guys are having such a hard time getting hold of decent slate for roofing, flooring or cladding, I imported some for my own house as well as a couple of small re-roofing jobs and have had no problems at all, I have been using the very same slate for just over 3 years after a friend in the England recommended an exporter from Spain that he had been getting his slate from for years without any fading, rusting or any problems to speak of with the exception of a broken pallet but that was down to the transport company anyway, if anyone wants any further info by all means send me an e mail xylo69@hotmail.com or get in contact with the com[any direct. The name is Hispanica Piedra Natural, based in Vigo Spain, the guy's email is ben@hispanica-slate.com

admin
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have a listing of new slate sources on this web site that now includes Spanish slate at http://www.slateroofcentral.com/newslate.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration