Finding a slate supplier Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Finding a slate supplier « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Spanish slate is the Copa and it is of good quality. The "feel" of it is a bit different, and it cuts a bit different than the domestic slate in that it would not quite have the same beveled edge when you cut it. The North country is really excellent slate. I have handled it and cut it but never installed any. I am impressed by the quality. I am sure you would be happy with either choice. The extra money spent on the North country would be a good value if you choose to do that. Win/win as far as I can see. good luck!

Ktp37 (Ktp37)
Username: Ktp37

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2019 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Old school for replying. I contacted Camera slate and the only unfading black they carry is imported from Spain. Is that slate any good. I hear story's of rust showing up after a year or 2 of exposure. The price is right for me at around $16,000. I also contacted New England slate that carry North Country unfading black. That was quoted at a little over $20,000. Any feedback would be great.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buckingham is quite different than most slate. It lasts longer. Try one of the other domestic suppliers.

Ktp37 (Ktp37)
Username: Ktp37

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2019 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I'm looking for 43 squares of 10x14 standard thickness. If there's anyone out there that can help me. I would greatly appreciate it.
I contacted Buckingham but they want $795 a square. I think that is quite hight.

Epl (Epl)
Username: Epl

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
I appreciate the feedback.

I look forward to being able to supplying you with the red Ludowici French tile that we had discussed about 2 months ago. I believe your job was coming up in the fall, correct??

Thanks again,

Eric

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Renaissance Roofing, Inc/ Renaissance Tile and Slate is an SRCA member.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you ever heard the term "get a room"? If you are going to advertize, maybe you should pay Joe!

Epl (Epl)
Username: Epl

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In regard to supplying new and salvaged slate, we are able to fulfill most if not all requests for nearly any quantity of roofing slate.

Renaissance Roofing, Inc/ Renaissance Tile and Slate have been supplying new and salvaged slate, clay tile, concrete tile, and custom architectural sheet metal products for over 25 years.

We have a significant amount of products in stock in our yards located in Belvidere, IL and St. Louis, MO. We can also attempt to accommodate our existing and potential clients by using close proximity suppliers for faster lead times and lower freight rates.

A brief list of the manufacturers we offer (current or obsolete) are: Ludowici, Mound City, Heinz, National, Miflin Hood, Mineral Wells, Des Moines, Detroit, MCA, Monier, Vande Hey Raleigh, Buckholtz, Hawthorne, Lifetime, Lifetile, Vermont (slate), Buckingham (slate), Peach Bottom (slate), Pennsylvania (slate), Monson (slate), North Country (slate), and more....

Not only do we sell, but we also buy and salvage these roofs. We are essentially a full service tile and slate roofing company (from supplying to installation).

Check out our company websites for more information:
www.claytileroof.com
www.victoriansheetmetal.com

Thank you,

Eric P. Loema
Sales | Salvage | Procurement
P (800) 699-5695 ∙ F (815) 547-1425

Slateworks (Slateworks)
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OGH,If you want salvaged slate may be able to help you find some slate-did you try jenkins they may have enough to sell you 15 sq-If you want new call the suppliers on this site prices are good at this time can deliver it right to you if you have a forklift to unload it ect.....Tru slate roof is an interesting system not hard to install but does take more time than I thought,and you start at the peak and work your way down to the eave so there is minimal traffic on or over the slate..they are using a Chinese slate 12" x 12" the slate seem fine as far as hardness,no pyrite ect,,but i feel there are to many warped and twisted slate especially when they are only 12" x 12",they should use Vermont or North Country slate ,just feel they could supply a nice flat stone for the system --the base sheet and track system are all quality material-the interlayment is what keeps the roof from leaking so as long as it holds up the system works,but who knows how long that will be? 724-316-7702

Oghcarpentry (Oghcarpentry)
Username: Oghcarpentry

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any recommendations on slate suppliers in/near Pittsburgh?

Slateworks, what do you think of the truslate?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter and Slateworks. Thanks. I have used the Titanium underlayment before and I put it over top of the Grace which was speced in the valleys and along the bottom. It worked slick. More expensive than felt, but it lasts longer and is easier to walk on. Cost is not the main issue when working with slate as we all know. If they can't afford some good underlayment, they can't afford the slate roof.

Slateworks (Slateworks)
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Old School,If you use IWS Install your underlayment over it thus eliminating your slates-tile-metal roofing from sticking to the IWS==I have tried the synthetic felts,not quite sure about them seem to not breathe causing some condesation issues,just from what I observed in an attic while we were installing a slate roof,there has been no problem with the roof ,just one morning while we were working lifted up the Titanium to tear off the lower roof section and the underside had a lot of moisture?could of just been the weather conditions and the attic space was open because of some wood replacement that was taking place..we are in the process of installing a Tru-Slate roof system by GAF(Homeowner bought all of the material) and they supply a underlayment called Deck Armor that is suppose to breathe,expensive,nice quality material and easy to work with..I would post a few pics but I cannot seem to get them to load on this site? Take it easy.

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
You and I are in agreement here. I looked at the new Tri flex -- it's called Extreme not 30 as when I used it years ago , but I think it would be great. Titanium Ultra UDL is another good one to use.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter, that is what I was talking about. Much has been said about NOT using any underlayment, and I have seen many pictures of them NOT using anything beneath the slates in the pictures from Europe, but I also consider it an insurance policy. The only problem I have with it is that it tends to stick to the slates and makes it a real pistol to repair the slates if they break. They stick to the Ice and Waqter and it makes it a mess to take out the broken ones. If the Triflex is dry and the slates will slide on it, I think it would be a great underlayment for slate.

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin,
I've used tri flex 30 before Grace bought them.
It will work fine as your underlayment.
Almost any synthetic will too.

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 05:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
Please explain the question a little further.
If you're asking does I and W Shield hurt anything ? I don't believe it does . I use it all the time , which is contrary to how a lot of folks here feel I think.
I've got a big job coming up where I'll be using it above 3' standing seam panels to eliminate back up issues.
And you ?

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Salvaged is fine but since I'm not sure I can tell good salvage from bad, new might be better.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Walter, does it HURT anything?

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtis,
Tri flex 30 is a synthetic underlayment , not a self adhered membrane.
I saw ice and water being used by the 3 brothers in the article about them in the recent Traditional Roofing that Joe distributes -- in one of the pictures it was visible.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hear the word grace echoing, as another circular debate is started...

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you looking for good salvaged slate or new ?

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
I have a 1830s house with a black slate roof (PA?). The whole roof needs to be replaced and the gutters relined. I know where to get the 16 oz copper locally but I'll be in need 15 squares of slate. Where's the best place to look? I would prefer to buy locally. I'm in Pittsburgh.

How is Grace triflex under slate?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration