Cracks in peach bottom Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Cracks in peach bottom « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

m.timmer
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased 45 sq. of peach bottom from a classified on this site.Have found that ~10-15% of slates have a hairline crack visible from both sides that when flexed or tapped by a hammer readily break along fracture. Slate sizes are 10x18, 12x18, the crack runs vertically( top to bottom). Is anyone else experiencing this problem? The seller says only me so far. My roof is hips and valleys no gables so most of these slates will go unused. Would a refund be in order for this damaged that has escalated labor costs in handling and inspection?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Mr. Timmer,

I think I dealt with the same outfit you did.

I purchased 30 sq. of 20x11 used Peach Bottom
and have not noticed any undue problems, but I
have only really inspected about 1 square and
have not tried to put any on the roof yet.

However, I do remember that prior to the purchase
they sent me a few sample 10x18 pieces. I asked
my slate roofer friend to use them as
replacements on the roof, and one of them
broke in the manner you described (split in
half lengthwise) when he tried to make a hole in it.

That's all I can tell you at this point.

Regards,
David Zimmerli

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration