Replacing Bangor Slate in MD, with be... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Replacing Bangor Slate in MD, with better, either Vermont or Buckingham « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hilltop Slate is the quarrier.

Chris Wright
Username: Chris_wright

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Ward,
The slate came in. It looks interesting, not your typical mottled variation in the Vermont grey/black. If I had to compare it to a wood type, I'd say the patterning is like curly maple. Its a hard slate, tight layering, a bit of sheen. I have two of them sitting outside for a bit. Did Northeast quarry them or did they bring them in from another quarry?

Ward Hamilton

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, It is a slate also available from Northeast Slate. If you would like a sample and a price, just send an email directly to me.

Chris Wright

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward,
Sounds like an interesting slate. Is it like the mottled grey-black or something different? Do you know what quarry it is from? Is it a Northeast slate. Or something under the "Vermont" name, say from Spain? New or reclaimed? I guess I'd like a sample to have a look and a quote. Thanks,

Ward Hamilton

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, I have access to a nice charcoal gray/black blend from Vermont ... never seen it anywhere else ... might make for a nice replacement. If you're interested in 800+ pieces of 11 x 22, I'd be happy to provide a quote and a sample. I promise that 8 square is not "too small an order" for anyone interested in earning your business.

Ward@WardHamilton.com 877.622.8973

Chris Wright

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would love to increase the headlap because the slope is so low. However, I own a townhouse and my roof is contiguous with the neighbors next door. So I need to keep the same rows and therefore the same amount of slate exposed. I could consider going with a larger slate, 12 x 24, to allow me to keep the face exposure but increase the headlap. That might take some calculation, and I'll look into it. But I'm not certain it is doable. Thanks for the suggestion and I'd like to consider it. Alternatively, I could separate my roof from the neighbors, by putting in a flashing divider. This would allow me to create new rows, a different amount of face exposure, and therefore, a larger headlap. However, again, the flashing won't last as long as the slate, and no one else in the neighborhood does something like that. So for all the trouble of matching the new slate with the Bangor in appearance, I am causing additional aesthetic concerns.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may want to incress the headlap too.

Chris Wright

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pitch is pretty low, around 6 or 7/12. That is partially why the bangors have not lasted so long. The house was built in 53.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the pitch of the roof? Steve is from the Taran Bros 18022879308 they can help with a used slate. Vintage slate should be able to help. Sheldon slate is a good company, but do not quarry monson slate for roof slate rigth know. I hear they are working on re-opening a new open pit.

Chris Wright

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about Sheltonslate are they a worthwhile source since they own the original mine? Or is that mine no longer operational?

Chris Wright

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Steve from Slate Affair or someone else? They had salvaged Monson.
Thanks Walter

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look for some good salvaged Monson from Steve on this board.

Chris Wright

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
I have a 11 x 22 inch Bangor black slate roof in Baltimore with a low pitch and am looking into replacing. Last count the roof has about 800 slates. The Bangor is thin, has greatly deteriorated, and doesn't hold up well with that pitch. After years of paying out $500-1500 every winter to have a few slate (8-15) replaced, I've realized that it is cheaper to just replace a quarter of the roof each year myself. This is especially true since the galvanized steel vents are also rusting out. So what do I replace with that is better than these thin Bangor black slates? Are Vermont ribbon slates the way to go? Neighbors across the street have something that looks like Vermont ribbon. But the houses adjoining my townhouse have Bangors, and the Vermont ribbons could look odd. Or should I go with Buckingham Virginia, assuming I can get it? Note, I'm not talking about the stuff from China. The color of true Buckingham might be a little more bluish, but it is a solid color, like the Bangors. Any thoughts? Finally, is a job that is only 8 squares too small to order from either Camara Slate or Buckingham Virgina?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration