Any advice/HELP on buckingham slate? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Any advice/HELP on buckingham slate? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom Mlynek
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me. I have purchased 31 squares of new Buckingham 3/8" slate. Up to 1/3 of it appears to be warped, curved, broken corners, ribbons, and does not ring true. Is this typical of this product? I thought slate were supposed to be flat...I have several 100 year+ buckingham slates that are flat as a pancake. Will curved and warped slates crack over time on the roof?
I have some sample pictures that show what I'm describing. I can e-mial them to a provided e-mail address.
Any comments or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ribbons don't matter in Buckingham slates. Curved slates should be minimal (1% of total or less). Broken corners don't matter unless they're on the exposed face, or unless they're excessively broken. The ringing true should also be minimal (less than 1%). You didn't say what size the slates were.

slateworks
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,Warped and curved slate-I believe someone else on this site had a similiar problem and rejected many of the slates I thought the slate was also Buckingham?-we recently installed a spainish slate that had the same type of flaws-The problem is they disrupt the laying of other flat slate,and leave voids ect.Also the Ice and snow load can really bust up the slate that are not laying flat.You should contact The person you bought them from and show them samples ect.To see if they can be replaced,Or The warping and curving may not be to extreme that they can be used? We used what we could on our job for-cuts-undereavers-finishers ect..Luckily we had many extra slate to pick from.Good Luck.

Tom Mlynek
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The sizes are 10"x18" and 14"x18". A good portion range from mildly warped to excessive, so that if you push on one corner of a slate on a flat surface, it will raise the other end up to a 3/8" or 1/2". Again, I have many pictures i can e-mail if you'd like to see this.
I have contacted buckingham asking for a large discount due to poor quailty slate, although i won't have enough to finish the job. They said the slate can be returned with prepaid freight with a 25% restocking fee. I felt this was unacceptable and my attorney is looking into it.
I am not a slate roofer, and everything that i know about slate I've learned from the "Slate Roof Bible" I own a home built in 1890 with soft slates on the roof. I feel Buckingham has a good reputation for good slates, and it's too bad I have a problem with the order.
70-80% of the slates appear to be fine, but I can't afford the loss of paying for 4 squares+ @ $460/square. Finally, I want to thank Joe Jenkins for writing such a good book on slate.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get these slates from Buckingham Virginia Slate Co.? Whoever quarried them got them out of a bad batch of rock, it sounds like.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe,
Yes, you're correct, it did. It came from Buckingham in Arvonia. I'm not sure how Buckingham wants to resolve this problem. Any ideas?
Thanks again.

Tom Mlynek
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*Mistake*
The above message is from Tom Mlynek, didn't intend for it to be "anonymous".

bobwilbat
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in Illinois and looking for 20 pcs 24" x24" of the buckingham slate. Any help?

admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.slateroofcentral.com/usedslate.htm

or

http://www.slateroofcentral.com/newslate.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration