Vermont Dark Grey/Briar Hill? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Vermont Dark Grey/Briar Hill? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Spradlin
Username: David_spradlin

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I got the samples through Echeguren Slate Inc., not sure of the broker. People tend to be less than forth-coming with that type of info around here. They don't want to look like the middle man you know.

carlos torres
Username: Slatesergen

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

watch out ward captin caulk will call jj on you

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you click on the link I provided, it should bring you to the history of that compnay. Go to the last few lines. This quarry real help Greenstone alot.

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward,
It's Liam you want to respond to that.
His post is directly below yours.

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter... Just for giggles I went back to "Greenstone's" site (I've been there before.) I saw Vermont slate (including dark gray) but didn't see 'Briar Hill.' Please advise. THX

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David- Ward is incorrect the name Briar Hill is a name of a quarry thats owned buy Greenstone
Slate. http://www.greenstoneslate.com/about.htm That slate quarry make that slate and some other ones that are blackish. Call them up they can tell you all about it. What supplier and what broker?

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My searches via internet find 'Briar Hill' and 'Buckingham Slate' coming up together quite a bit on multiple vendor-redirect sites. The dark gray with striping certainly sounds like Buckingham. The "VT Dark Grey" -part of the label sounds like a curveball.

If it's pricey, I think you'll find that it's Buckingham.

David Spradlin
Username: David_spradlin

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received some samples from a supplier hear in San Francisco, for a project I'm working on. One of the samples was labeled "VT Dark Grey/Briar Hill". It looks like a Vermont Black but with a slightly softer grain and vertical striping. Is anyone familiar with this slate? Is Briar Hill a quarry, particular pit, or a marketing name? This supplier buys through a broker in the northeast, so I'm sure they shop around. The other samples they sent were from more recognizable sources, but this one was a little off. Any help would be appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration