Non-ferrous crystaline pyrites Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Non-ferrous crystaline pyrites « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

beyond lee
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baoding North-America Building Materials Co, Ltd. as the leading modern joint-venture in in BAODING city, HEBEI PR CHINA. has over 30 years experiences in manufacture and export business, and over 300 workers on two shifts serving in our production department, and we are proud to have a solid supply chain and a wide marketing channel worldwide, we specialize in manufacturing the following stone items as:
natural stone, natural slate, stone tile, slate tile, slab stone, flag stone, random stone, random slate, counter top, granite tile, marble tile, sand stone, sandstone, quartz tile, building stone, curb stone, wall tile, floor tile, floor slate, flooring slate, flooring tile, roof tile, roofing tile, roof slate, roofing slate, stone paver, paving stone, crazy paver, random paver, random paste, net paste, mushroom stone, cultural stone, cultured stone, cultured slate, cultured tile, cultural slate, mosaic stone, mosaic slate, stone mosaic, mosaic tile, and other building stone projects.
You may log on to our newly built web at http://www.bdnastone.com to find the stone items that may cater to your interest. Or take our catalogue for a better check. We are for sure to provide you with top quality final products with the most favorable prices.
I do hope that you could find some chances to visit our company to compare our capacity and quality with those that you have in hand.
And we may well talk on msn if possible.
BEYOND LEE(marketing manager)
BAODING north America building materiasl inc
Room1005, 10th floor, guomao commercial building, chaoyang road, baoding city, hebei pr. China.
TEL: 0086-312-3022059 FAX:0086-312-3062059 PH:86-13472308748
EMAIL: Bdnastone1981@yahoo.com.cn
WEB: http://www.bdnastone.com msn: beyondlee1981@hotmail.com skype: beyondlee1981.
slate tile

beyond lee
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baoding North-America Building Materials Co, Ltd. as the leading modern joint-venture in in BAODING city, HEBEI PR CHINA. has over 30 years experiences in manufacture and export business, and over 300 workers on two shifts serving in our production department, and we are proud to have a solid supply chain and a wide marketing channel worldwide, we specialize in manufacturing the following stone items as:
natural stone, natural slate, stone tile, slate tile, slab stone, flag stone, random stone, random slate, counter top, granite tile, marble tile, sand stone, sandstone, quartz tile, building stone, curb stone, wall tile, floor tile, floor slate, flooring slate, flooring tile, roof tile, roofing tile, roof slate, roofing slate, stone paver, paving stone, crazy paver, random paver, random paste, net paste, mushroom stone, cultural stone, cultured stone, cultured slate, cultured tile, cultural slate, mosaic stone, mosaic slate, stone mosaic, mosaic tile, and other building stone projects.
You may log on to our newly built web at http://www.bdnastone.com to find the stone items that may cater to your interest. Or take our catalogue for a better check. We are for sure to provide you with top quality final products with the most favorable prices.
I do hope that you could find some chances to visit our company to compare our capacity and quality with those that you have in hand.
Room1005, 10th floor, guomao commercial building, chaoyang road, baoding city, hebei pr. China.
WEB: http://www.bdnastone.com msn: beyondlee1981@hotmail.com skype: beyondlee1981.

beyond lee
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

slateroofing tile

beyond lee
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur Stanley
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I am currently evaluating slate to put onto an extention on a house in the west of Ireland. The forerunner at the moment is a Spanish slate by Cupa (Heavy 3).

What I am looking at is (sorry about the metric here) 50cm x 25cm (20 inch by 10 inch) slate that has a coverage of 19 slates per metre square with a 3 inch headlap. It is sorted to widths of between 7 and 9 mm. (.28 to .36 of an inch). The main reason it is the fore runner is that I can afford it :-). Somewhere in the region of 1400 per thousand.

My concern is that this is a slate that is high in non-ferrous crystaline pyrites. What is the impact of this?

Regards

Arthur

admin
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good question. Any geologists out there? A lot of Spanish slate is quite good. Can you get Cupa to guarantee that there will be no red staining on the roof from pyrites? As far as I know, the non-ferrous pyrites are not a problem.

Arthur Stanley
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I haven't been able to figure out how to contact Cupa to ask them the question. It is good to hear that your feeling is that non-ferrouls pyrites are not a problem.

I suppose as the slate has passed various sets of techincal standards it has to be reasonably good. (BS 680 Part 2, French standard P32.301 & P32.302, Belgium ATG H 571)

Arthur

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cupa's office covering the UK and Ireland is in Edinburgh, contact 0131 225 3111. The product is sold in Ireland by Brooks Builders Merchants. Pyrites is non rusting, slate is Grade A to French and Belgian Standard PS32301 and 302

Peter
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Anonymous,

Send me an email and I will send you photos of "Non Rusting Pyrites".

In the court case that followed even the vendors Engineer had to agree the slate was sub standard and Pyrites were the cause of the brown marks on the natural slate roof.

Not one slate was removed for testing by an independent lab even though my clients were willing to either have this done or allow it to be done.

Just goes to prove it takes a wealthy man to buy a cheap roof :)

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

The above is not referring directly or indirectly to the quality of "Cupa" slate products.

bunter
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive worked with cuppa slates and they are nowhere near as good as welsh slate.

Peter
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi bunter,

I have used slate that originated in Wales and some untested Chinese slate looked a lot better.

I think the problem is slate that gets a reputation because of the region it is quarried.

I wouldn't dare compare a Penryhn Welsh Slate against any of the Cupa range or many others for that matter.

The Cupa range have a lot of different qualities as well, I believe it is vital to know your supplier and to know your supplier understands slate.

Any of us can go to the different regions and come away as the sole agent for certain quarries at unbelieveable prices.

However we could also end up in the position of a couple of suppliers I know who had to close up shop very fast and are in danger of losing their own homes because of imperfect untested slate.

Most good quarries have in house grading where each block of slate is examined before being split to decide if it is suitable for roofs.

Slate not suitable for roofs is not thrown away, it can be used for floor tiles internal wall finishes, counter tops etc.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

Jimmyod
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to agree with Peter.
We have seen practically every slate from all over the world.
Without doubt there is nothing better than Blue Bangors available.
Spanish Slate varies greatly - not so much at the Quarries in Spain where the reputable producers are conscious of their future markets.
The problems most often arise with the MIDDLE-MEN who most often don't know their QUALITY and are attracted purely to cheap prices. All Slate Quarries - no matter where- reject alot of block as unsuitable - so it is never split into slates. However some are greedy and will split and sell as seconds and Thirds. It is alright if used in a warm climate - but put that stuff on a roof in Ireland or Scotland with FROST conditions and it may last only a few years. I am talking about Quarries anywhere - not just Spain. I have sold thousands of slate roofs - many in very good Spanish Slate where the customer will not pay the little extra for Bangors.

The main problems in slates are unstable PYRITES - weakness in the Grain and sometimes no grain atall so they are very brittle. Unstable pYRITES leech out of the slate and may leave a hole for water which is much worse that brown stains really.

My advice always is buy Good Slates from a REPUTABLE Slate Merchant like the guys at Blue Bangor Slate in Dublin. AND, very important, get a good ROOFER to put them on - then make sure there is no roof traffic to damage them.

I am glad to see more and more people using real slate. This is very good for tomorrows HERITAGE.

jimmyod
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way I have read the SLATE BIBLE so well done Mr Jenkins. You are really a slate enthusiast.

yachts
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just had my roof re-roofed, with spanish slates cupa, i think,
I am not very happy with the result, as the slates seem very britle and have lots of gold coloured pryrites The roofer told me they were grade 1 but how can i be sure as quite a lot of them have pieces flaking off
Is there any way to tell if i have been sold an inferior slate
thanks

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SHOULD HAVE WENT WITH AN AMERICAN SLATE, VERMONT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT CHOICE. GOOD LUCK WITH THE FORIEGN IMPORT!

admin
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the gold pyrites start staining red on the slates, you'll know you have an inferior quality slate.

robin
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cupa is known as the better spanish slate, but they sell different standards (like most do) and different quarries.. u should try to get cupa R4 it's indeed a thin rather fragile slate (compared to welsh) but it's color and relief is very loved in these areas and cutting/handling them goes fast. From the spanish kind I prefer working with Samaca. Stronger and better, even bit cheaper, but less dark, more dark grey.
Never seen much pyrites in a good quality cupa though.. !!!

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am wondering can anyone help me with spanish slate I want 5000 24 x 12 5/7mm in thickness.

I have a sample of a slate apparently from the La Cabrera region in Spain an uneven slate surface but would like to know if anyone has info on Slate

Thanks

admin
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried Franvisa slate? It's from the La Bana area and does not have the pyrite problem. Contact: Pilar.Cubelos@btopenworld.com.

Joe Jenkins

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We stock Quality Heavy Spanish including Cupa. All stocks are tested to british and european standards. Susan tel:01631 562673

mat bradley
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please tell me who is the main importer of franvisa spanish slate for the north of england?.

admin
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Contact Pilar Cubelos: Pilar.Cubelos@btopenworld.com. She is the sales manager for the UK.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All premier natural and ceramic slates supplied and fitted at the best prices. my house done with del carmen spanish slates. Phone them at 02825862717, there price wont be beaten for supply and fit, they cover all of ireland and the uk

vanessa collard
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,

Can anyone tell me what they think of the quality of chinese Windsor grade I slate.. I'm getting very confused and can't decide what to do for the best.. I've heard that Spanish Barco is a good slate.. but, can't find a supplier for a price..can anyone comment/help?

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not American slate? Say an S1 Vermont. Very easy to get. I don't understand the high demand for foreign slate in America when we have a vast selection of slate mined and sold here. If anyone has an explaination to this please post. I have to doubt it's cost driven, or is it?

robin
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I worked with a canadienne slate 'La Canadienne' from 'Glendyne' - Quebec few weeks ago, price was ok and no pyrites at all.. good looking grey colour also. Maybe u should contact them. don't know if they heave heavy thickness..

robin
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

with cupa u need to be lucky.. working on a roof this week with heavy 4 and they break like hell.. + impossible to get a nice flat view.. if u want perfect spanish slate search for samaca 24 (ferlosa) or samaca 55 (juanita)
pleasure to work with and a happy client guaranteed! both have atg and sts for everywhere in europe, but I doubt they are exported to everywhere.. if needed, I can help getting them to u

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No one knows why people want foreign slate over American slate? I don't know either, I quess everything in America is being out sourced. Then we will complain and kick the can (so to speak) when we hear of more layoffs. But really, I would like to hear from the folks (and stay anonymous, if you'd like) who buy foreign slate and why they are choosing it over American slate? I would think that it has nothing to do with quality (there is great slate all along the east coast and in other regions of America as well) is foreign slate cheaper? I don't believe foreign slate is easier to obtain, is it?

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used imported slate on several jobs. It all started for me when I heard about imported slate for $200 a square!! Well that $200 dollar slate was garbage, but I did talk to some people that sold imported slate for about the same price as domestic. Why do I buy imported slate? Because I know I can depend on the quality and I get it quicker and in todays world that makes the differnce. I still call domestic quarries for quotes and lead times, but now that I have a good supplier of imported slate I am thrilled with the whole experience.

bob
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

your mad to be using these slates!
Much better off with fibre cement slates as they will never have any of these rust stains. I will never use these slates again

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration