Tile or slate?! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Tile or slate?! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maryrosesmithadvance (Maryrosesmithadvance)
Username: Maryrosesmithadvance

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice! Learned much from this thread about roofing and roofing contractors. :)

Slateofchina Ltd.
Username: Ncslate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slateofchina roofing slates have passed B.S Standard 680 part 2.

Slateofchina roofing slate can be cleaved to very thin, min thickness in 4-6mm, max size in 600x300mm. With more than ten kinds of products,
we provide the special-shaped slate according to the customer's demands. In addition, Slateofchina roofing slates of Blackare suitable for the market of all over the world, min thickness in 5-7mm, max thickness in 12mm, the size and thickness can be differed up to the client's demands.

Roofing Slate Detail:

Specification: 300X600 MM,500X250 MM,400X250 MM or as your detail order.
Material: black slate, rusty slate, green slate,grey slate,yellow slate etc.

Finishing: with single hole, or double holes. Thickness: 5-7MM,7-9MM or as your detail order.
By the way, The thickness will be thin if the client from European. Other will be thicker.
Packing: Strong Wooden Crates
Delivery Time: 25 days if one container, The time will be more if over one containers

welcome sincere cooperator to negotiate any time . our website
: http://www.slateofchina.com

stuart lee
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,

I'm going to replace my existing roof... i'm not sure how old the slates are. However a roofing contractor has adviced me to replace the whole roof with tiles as they are cheaper than replacing with slates! he also said that what ever slates are left he will help me to sell on to a dealer, and then give me the money.

What i want to know are, the differences in slate and tiles, is it worth the extra money for slates (he said approx twice the cost), how much is one slate compared to tiles?

cheers for any responses

stu

Joe
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's probably talking about fake tiles. New tiles are not half the cost of new slate - they are comparable in cost. Not to put too fine a point on it, but any intelligent homeowner will get exact dollar figures from the contractor before making a final decision. Only then will you know what the costs are. How much *exactly* are the tiles per square, and how much *exactly* are the slates per square? Are the tiles natural clay tiles or some fake material? You should also get your own independent cost information. *Don't* take your contractor's word for it. Sources of both slate and tile are listed on this web site. Call and get prices.

SlateGuy@neslate.com
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find it curious that your roofing contractor is telling you, on the one hand that your slate roof must be replaced, yet he/she feels that there is salvage value.

How well do you know this contractor? I have seen this scenario played out on a number of occasions:

1) Roofing Contractor strips the roof and sells the slate pocketing a percentage of the sale.

2) Roofing Contractor puts on a new roof using material that is more favorable to his/her profit margin and expertise (or lack of).

3) Roofing Contractor makes out like a bandit. Homeowner loses Slate Roof which is replaced with an inferior product.

You must do what you're comfortable doing, but you would not believe the BS that has crossed my desk over the years such as:

- The homeowner who was told. "We have to repair your purple slate roof with green slate because thay no longer make purple slate."

- The Roofing Contractor who ordered 40 squares of slate and asked me if the starter course went all the way around the roof (including up the gable end).

- The Roofing Contractor who ordered 60 squares and asked me if there was "some kind of book or something that tells you how to put this SH_T on..."

- The Slater who took over a job where the previous "Roofing Contractor" had STARTED at the ridge.

It's all about trust...

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everybody who is involved with slate or owns a slate roof should read what Slateguy says (above). I also have seen the same or similar scenarios played out many, many, many times. Most roofing contractors do not know what they are talking about with regard to slate roofs. For example, a few days ago I inspected a huge roof in St. Louis (200,000 square feet, five stories high). Although the roof is 120 years old, the slate is in *perfect* condition, like the day it was put on (it's a high grade Peach Bottom slate). The owner has already been told (by roofing contractors) that the roof must be replaced and has already been given a proposal to take the slate off and install asphalt shingles, to the tune of ten million dollars! In the meantime, the two leaks in the roof are due to holes in two valleys - easily repaired by replacing the valleys. I can give you example after example of this sort of thing.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration