Salvage of slate from fire Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Quality of Roofing Slate » Salvage of slate from fire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roof slates would have nail holes in them, whereas chalkboard slates probably would not.

A colleague of mine salvaged some Vermont purple slates from a roof of a house that had caught fire. The slates had black stains on them and smelled a little like smoke, but other than that, they were reusable. Of course, stone that is subjected to the high heat of direct flame will crack and disintegrate if the heat is high enough and prolonged.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reg Nichol
Username: Digger

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am an archaeologist working in New Zealand. I have been excavating an old wooden house burned in a fire in about 1900. There are a few scraps of slate around but not much. Bricks and stone pavers were obviously salvaged from the site but can you confirm for me that roofing slates from a house fire could not be usefully salavaged - they would be ruined, would they not?

So the slate scraps are from children's writing boards (common enough).

hoping you can help me here

sincerely

Reg Nichol

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration