Words of wisdom from my carpentry ins... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slating Techniques » Words of wisdom from my carpentry instructor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ted wetzel
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm taking a carpentry class at the local vo tech. Slate roofs came up the during the second class and in two minutes the teacher had me white knuckled trying to keep my mouth shut. This guy was a supervisor for a roofing company for ten years before starting his contracting company.

1. slate roofs are good for 100 years. If it's older than that you should get rid of it before the problems start.

2. slate roofs cause a lot of structure damage and are difficult to design for because of the massive weight.

3. Face nailing and tar are the only way to hold a replace slate. slate hooks just don't hold up.

4. the biggest mistake people make is not using snow guards. It's the snow sliding too quickly off the roof that is the most common reason for damaged slates.

5. replaced a slate roof with new slate is far too costly to be considered. A new asphalt roof will likely outlast your ownership of the home anyway.

Just thought I'd share

Peter
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ted,

Of course teacher is right, he is an experienced roofing professional LOL.

May the Good Lord have mercy on his customers, it's fools like him that cost people money.

Pound for Pound, Dollar for Dollar, Euro for Euro, a natural slate roof properly installed is most likely the best value for money in the roofing market.

A house properly built is a great start for any roofing product, home owners who intend staying in the same house for more than the average eight to ten years will reap the true value.

Then you have the environmentally friendly argument, the true beauty of the natural finish and the re-sale value of a quality home.

I think your teacher has valid points for the easy sale of cheaper products, also valid points for the roofer who will possibly fit 3 new roofs on the same house in a 45 year roofing career.

Maybe we are wrong ?

Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

Ted Wetzel
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thought I posted this last night but it seems to be invisible so I'll try again.

#6 The reason the slate on your house is in much better condition than your garage is because the house is heated. You should never over insulate a house with slate as the heat and air flow make the slate last longer.
When I mentioned that the house had Chapman and the garage had a soft PA black, both installed rougly 60 years ago he just said that had nothing to do with it. Actually I got the feeling he had never heard that there was different types of slate before.

admin
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give your mis-informed teacher a copy of the Slate Roof Bible before he spreads any more misinformation. We have copies that are very slightly "rejects" for half price ($20). Call Leo at 866-641-7141 and ask him for a reject copy of the book. He can take an order over the phone by credit card and mail it directly to anyone. Or just get your own copy and lend it to the teacher.

Joe

Ted Wetzel
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe,

I Had planned on loaning him my copy but I really don't believe that he would take the time to read it. I've got one class a week with this guy until March of next year so I thought I'd give it some time before I dropped it in his lap. Nobody likes to find out they have been doing poor work for the past thirty years. Besides, he may be a decent carpenter but he is definately of the modern scrap it and start new mentality.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration