Hands on slate roofing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slating Techniques » Hands on slate roofing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I would like to know where I could possibly learn the art of slate roofing, is their a school or week long workshop where I can go here in the U.S.?

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all if you want info on this subject and someone to reach out to you and teach you this (trade) art then you should leave your name, phone number and/or e-mail address to be reached.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, my name is Gino Millin and I am a woodworker/timberframer who would like to learn how to lay slate roofs, as I stated earlier I'm interested in schools or week long workshops on this trade, please e-mail me at www.inga@sssnet.com thank you.

admin
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in the process of establishing a slate roofing training center here in western Pennsylvania, USA. I'm hoping it will be up and running sometime in 2005. I will certainly let everyone know via this web site and via the Traditional Roofing Magazine (http://www.traditionalroofing.com/).

Joe Jenkins

George Linn
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm an amateur, building a simple shed roof covered patio with 16x10 slate. I'd like some advice or thoughts on how to finish the ridge. No roof is on the other side of the ridge. -George

admin
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You wouldn't have a ridge. The roof slate would terminate at the top against the building and a piece of "top flashing" would cover the top edge of the slate by maybe 4" and then run up the side of the building by a few inches. The part against the building can be folded into a reglet in the siding, or simply tuck under the siding, if possible, or be covered by counter flashing that is tucked under the siding or folded into a reglet. In some cases, you can simply nail the top edge of the top flashing into the siding over a bead of caulk, then nail a wood strip (or whatever siding you're using) over the top edge of the flashing, again over a bead of caulk.

Walter Musson
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the building is freestanding and doesn't abut another structure you could have a custom piece bent by a metal shop to cover the top 4" or 5" of your last course of slate and then extend down the front edge,much like a drip edge.
Remember that that last top course of slate will probably need a lath underneath to have it set properly,since its not going all the way to the deck like the previous courses.
Add that 3/8" or so to the front edge metal to be sure to come over your trim.
Make up a 6" long piece of what you need as a template to give to your metal shop,and you know you'll get what you need.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration