Nail Materials Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Nail Materials « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what we found on older slate roofs with aluminum nails - the heads popped off or the nails snapped when trying to pull them out. I made a mental note to never use aluminum nails after my experiences with them in the field.

Jim Korczak
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If aluminum nails are hardened enough to withstand nailing into the battens, they will be fairly brittle. Repairs using a slate ripper will result in snapped shanks rather than a pulled nail. Aluminum also undergoes embrittlement in cold temperatures, potentially causing nail head seperation, but this is just conjecture on my part.

Although stainless steel may be cheaper and potentially longer lasting than copper, in my opinion copper is still the best overall choice when considering the long term life of the roof and repairs to it. Aluminum is an inferior choice to stainless steel, in my opinion.

ron kugel
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We used alum. siding nails on a small roof,not sure what gauge they were but they have some thickness to them and yet nice thin heads so the slate would not rub on them as much as the hot dipped galvanized nails(drilled nail holes,not punched), worked very well for this job...but 98% of the time we use copper nails even at $6.00/lb - compared to $3.00 or so /lb for aluminum..just add the cost to the proposals...as far as corrosion the aluminum nails should last quite a while..not sure if long term exposure under the slate changes the temper of the aluminum or not?

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have done restoration work on one slate roof - a large church - which was installed with aluminum nails. The nails seemed weak and broke easily. I wasn't impressed with them.

ron kugel
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have used aluminum nails,they work very well ,have also salvaged some older slate roofs that aluminum nails were used to nail on the slate..I also like the thin heads of the nail..Although when doing repairs they may have a tendency to be cut off by the ripper?

Jim Brooks
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a former slate roofer and now part time slate repairer, I was taught to use copper nails. Having a bit of scientific knowledge, I understand the reasoning behind the choice of copper over galvanized iron, however, it seems to me that aluminum nails would do just as well, if not better, than copper. They have fantastic natural corrosion resistance. Obviously, one would not use them to secure copper flashing or valleys, but it seems that they would be a fine choice for hanging slates, especially since they cost less than copper. But I have yet to see or hear of anyone suggesting the use of aluminum nails for slate roofing. Is there a reason for this that I'm missing?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration