Is this Pennsylvania slate? Snowguard... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Is this Pennsylvania slate? Snowguards - eave heating cable? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lee (Lee)
Username: Lee

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an update since yesterday...

Well roofer wants to:
- remove all the slates from the lower roof over the arcade,
- repair roof decking with plywood (I said absolutely not, need to match original wood)
- put down Ice Shield membrane over entire roof (not felt),
- install a new copper gutter (did not specify copper weight or if it had highback/apron,
- reinstall the old slates and only add new if needed (did not specify type of slate)
- no mention of a drip edge or flashing,
As to the upper valley issues --
-- remove slates,
-- install ice membrane
-- install snowguards
-- reinstall slates, new where needed

After reviewing posts here, I am not happy about the ice shield membrane.... not even for the valley... and think it should be double application of #30 felt paper.

Not sure where I can find some 1" lumber to have on hand for the roof deck repair so I can make sure no one slips in plywood - yikes!

As for reinstalling the slates, if these are near the end of their useful life,then I don't see the point in reinstalling them. This is the front entrance of the house, and its appearance is important. This is why it is important to identify just what the slate is, and what the possible replacements are, as well as durability for the snow avalanche issue. If a new slate can be close in appearance for the rest of the roof, then some of the old slate removed may be salvageable for repairs there.

As for the snow avalanche, yes there should be snowguards installed, and even snow rails/fencing (which the roofer had never heard of and told me no way). [I am of the school that you should do the job right or don't do it at all]. (asked the roofer about snowguard options for the elderly owner of the house to select, and he has only one type.)

What are the thoughts about a copper flashed upper valley, snowguards, a snow rail at the bottom of the valley along with a heating cable,
front arcade roof

snow railing between the windows on the other upper roof to stop damage below
front arcade roof

snow guards on the arcade roof to stop damage to the gutter in areas where the snow slides down from above (no snow slides off from the upper windows).

As to the gutter, would an aproned gutter be sufficient with an extended copper drip edge above it? (I refer to the "How to Make a Snow Apron" article) Snow apron would be very nice but imagine too pricey and requires expertise that few roofers have....

Does anyone know a good slate and copper roofer on Long Island to refer?

(Message edited by Lee on November 12, 2017)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lee (Lee)
Username: Lee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This roof was constructed in 1930. Been having a problem with snow avalanches damaging slates on the lower roof, and need to get slates to repair... but don't want the patching to be a sore thumb...bad enough someone already used different slate halfway down the roof... arcade roofArcade roof damage

Also, any advice is appreciated as to number of snowguards and whether anyone has experience with Warmly Yours heat systems to prevent the ice damming. There is an upper roof valley that has sever avalanches and damming. Thought is to place snowguards on each side of the valley and heating cable to assist in melting... upper roof valleymidway upper valleyUpper roof valley above arcade roof

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration