Help in starting a slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Help in starting a slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello fellas,

I've just about completed my roof and I think it looks GREAT. My friend is helping me the copper flashing around the chimney, it's taking him quite a bit of time, hopefully he will finish this weekend and I'll try and post a photo. Many thanks to all of you who have responded and especially to Joe who patiently answered my questions and provided me with some beautiful slate for my project.

ron kugel
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Thomas--Yes save those broken slate -- I had bought some slate from an old roofer's family(he had passed on) about 15 years ago and he had a cottage outside of town with a really interesting slate roof-all broken or trimmed to look that way,so I decided to save some broken & chipped slate to install the ragged type roof-I have only installed a few of these roofs-I am redoing my roof in a similiar manner & just started a friend's house last weekend using all chipped & broken slate.
Tom have you started your roof?

Thomas Massie
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,

That's a really awesome ragged roof you have there. No risk of that being confused with asphalt shingles! I now realize that I need to start saving my broken slates instead of zinging them off of the roof in frustration. :)

-Thomas

ron kugel
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom ,
If you do not have any other starters then use your 22 x 11's - use 16's for your first row-you may have to cut down a few 18's or leave them 2" above the line(you will have to decide this,the slate may rock to much with the extra headlap or it might work out?) you can put a few 14's in this row so you get the purple color into the mix,but when you do this you will have to install an 18" slate on your third row over top of the 14" slate that is installed on your first row to get your headlap,because the 14 will be 2" below the layout line for the first row..this does not need to be done on the rest of the roof since the 14's will be installed on the 6" lines...hope this helps

Tom
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guy, in my post below I meant to say the first row was 16" and not
14" (Ron said to start with the 16" shingles)

Tom
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,
Please bear with me as this is my first attempt at roofing.

The roof pitch is 12/12 so the 2 " headlap shouldn't be a problem (unless someone disagrees ?? ) The roof is only 1.75 sq so I'm going to cover the roof with a ICE SHIELD which I have left over from another project. I know this isn't needed but I have no other use for it.

Ron, I'm a little confused still with your description..maybe you didn't understand the shingle mix I have.
Here is what I have :

1/2 sq 8 X 14" purple (new)
1/2 sq random x 16" red (salvaged)
2/3 sq 12 x 18" sea grn (new)
1/3 sq mix of 9 x 16, 12x18 unfading green

I also have 1/4 sq of real nice salvaged 22 x 11 Buckingham's

This is what confuses me...if I make the first row 14" as you recommend they will all be purple or should I cut all the slates for the first row to 14" ? Is this what you mean ? ??? Do I need to cut them or can I just lay the random lenghts and measure up 6" from the bottom of the 14" shingles...please advise !

I'm really excited to start this roof and see the results...thanks for the help.

ron kugel
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,
I would start with a 10" or 11" starter course,then 16" slate for your first row,next I would chalk lines every 6",this would give you a 2" headlap on your 14's- 4" on your 16's and 6" for you 18's,then as Thomas mentioned above you can move your 16's & 18's up above the line to help achieve a true random look,once you start laying the slate you can decide what you like,,also by moving up some of the longer slates you end up with more headlap on your 14"s if they are installed over the slate that you moved above the line....The 2" headlap on the 14"s should be okay if your roof is an 8/12 or steeper...you may have to punch new holes in some of your slate so you do not nail into the top of other slate you have installed,depends on your layout and how high the slate were punched. Good luck -The image I put up was a different type of random roof,I save all kinds of broken slate to install these types of roofs,I also cut some of them to get a ragged look.The image was the first time I was successful at getting it to load onto the site.

ron kugel
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

random slate roof

Thomas Massie
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

quick answer, I am no means an expert...

Q1. Per the quarry's (Camara Slate) suggestion I used 11" starter slates for a 18" slates.

Q2. I would use slate. Getting the slates to lay right would be difficult otherwise. Speaking of which, don't forget the cant strip underneath the starter slates - this cocks the slate at the proper angle to get started.

Q3. I used 18" and 20" slate to get staggered butts. I laid the slates as if they were all 18" slates. So yes, the 20" slates were wasting 2" of slate. If you use this same approach with the sizes you have proposed, then yes, a lot of your 18" slates will cover roof that doesn't need to be covered. You can call it "wasted slate," but in the end, you need to satisfy yourself and style is definitely worth something.

Q3b. (unsolicited answer to unasked question!) To tell the truth, I thought that 2" of stagger was too much for my roof, so I held the 20" slates up 1/2" higher than the 18" slates. This gave me 1.5" of stagger. (the nail holes lined up at this point too - I haven't really thought about why that worked out?!) 1.5" of stagger was a personal preference issue - I wanted to keep the "coursed" look, but introduce a little variation. I felt that with too much variation, the slates looked uncoursed, which was not the look I was after. With the 3 sizes that you picked, you can get a completely random look - which is really neat too.

Hope this helps!

Tom
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm new to the forum and plan on putting a slate roof on a nat. stone bread oven roof approx 14' x 11'. I know very little about roofing but I've been reading about it for a few days on this website and others and feel confident I can do it. The roof is simple except for a stone chimney in the center of the peak.

I plan to use 3 size shingles 14", 16" and 18" with random width and colors for a staggered butt design.

Q1. What length should my started course be...I'm thinking 5 1/2" (exp of the smallest 14" shingle) + 3" (headlap)= 8 1/2" What about the 1 1/2" overhang...where does this come in ?

Q2 Can I use some cedar shakes instead of "wasting" these beautiful slates on a starter course ? It would probably look better if I used all slate but I would I have to try and match the color and/or width of the starter course when I put on the 1st course...that seems impossible

Q3 Using these 3 lengths I'm going to have a headlap of 3", 5" and 7" right ?
Assuming that all top edges of the slates line up with a chalk line, if I place a 18" shingle on top of a 14" shingle there will only be a 1 1/2 exposure..right ? That seems like a waste, would it be better to trim the 18" shingle ?

Thanks tom

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration