1885 Buckingham Virginia roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » 1885 Buckingham Virginia roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

83b (83b)
Username: 83b

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any old neighborhood here in central VA will have them. The only problems come from previous "repairs". I still see these roofs tore off and replaced with asphalt. I see this happen all the time, usually after an old home is sold to a new owner who wants to "fix it up."
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unbelievable! I have to post some pictures, but it has almost NO wear on it. It was applied with steel nails and really put down too tight so that it is hard to get the old ones off to repair the broken slates. On the other hand, if it has lasted these 130 years, who are we to quibble? They also nailed it down and they hit the tops of the slates with the nails from the slate above. It is almost a nightmare to get them off as you get the two nails on the slate off and it is still held from above. We also have to notch the tops of the slates we use for replacements to match the nail heads. What a roof.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration