Slate roofs from Luxembourg Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate roofs from Luxembourg « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the pix Victor. Everyone is still talking about your presentation at the NSA conference in Philadelphia.

We actually tore off a roof that was laid like this in Charleston, SC. We were told that the roof was from 1803. It was laid in a bed of concrete with small wood pegs. The roof was so badly damaged from a hurricane, that we replaced it with Virginia Buckingham Slate.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can see more slates sliding off. Of course they are probably 100 years old too. Very nice Victor.

Vcardenes (Vcardenes)
Username: Vcardenes

Post Number: 17

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And more

This "turntable" as used to pay the workers. They held a line at the window of the office, get the money and go to the nearest bar

And this is my favorite. A carving in slate, but who is this person?. I'll give you a clue, it was very popular in Germany until September 1945...
Yes, this is the old Adolf. During the war, a pro-nazi artist from Luxembourg carved his image on slate. This carving was destroyed after the war, what we see here is the remain.
Victor Cardenes
roofingslate.wordpress.com

Vcardenes (Vcardenes)

Post Number: 16

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 02:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also the overlapping is very low. The curator of the Museum told me that it is traditional to cover like this all the walls facing to the West. The cement must be very sticky I guess. Anyway, this is a place that is worth a visit if anyone is going to Luxembourg. Some more pictures:

This is a repair, hooks over nails, maybe it is time to change the whole roof..

The old mill
Victor Cardenes

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are those slates that have fallen off on the bottom? I am not sure how they held the slates on until the cement set. Kind of hard to repair after the fact too.

Vcardenes (Vcardenes)

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everybody
Recently I visited the Slate Museum in Haut Martelange, at the border between Belgium and Luxembourg. Very interesting place indeed.
I saw a "new" way of installing slate, just attaching it with concrete (but not in a roof but in a wall). For me this was surprising, but I'm not an expert on slate roofing. Anyone has seen this kind of installation before?.
ThanksSlate museum Luxembourg
Victor Cardenes

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration