Small ridge advice Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Small ridge advice « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 864

Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can bend a 3 foot piece of copper into an acceptable ridge form by hand (over a straight edge), then cleat it into place. Here's another video about cleating copper ridge (there's also one at the bottom of the Traditional Roofing page that Milo linked to): https://youtu.be/on7ZjSLb984

Milo (Milo)
Intermediate Member
Username: Milo

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR8_ridge.html

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe has a video on that in the video portion of the site here. Joe can sell you a piece of rolled ridge or you could make it yourself. You fasten copper clips to the roof and then hold the ridge piece on with them so there are no exposed fasteners. Not too difficult.

Onetimer (Onetimer)
Username: Onetimer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm building a small wood fired oven in my backyward in MA with a slate roof. Ridge is 3 ft :-). I'm thinking to just step flash the ridge and then caulk it with Silicon II. I don't know what maintenance is like on that though and I really don't want water to get in. Not easy to find a small ridge cap. One place I found will sell me one but he is saying to nail through the copper and slate and leave the nail exposed. That doesn't sound right to me. Is it OK? Other options?

thanks
steve

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration