Snow guards on brittle slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Snow guards on brittle slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Victor, I have a job in Kalamazoo at one of the colleges that is about 80 years old that has a lot of the slates weathered and wearing out like that. I told them not to try and fix it anymore but to plan on redoing it. It is about 35 to 40 % semi=-weathering and they are all rotted and flaking. It is still working as a roof, but it is rough. I have a few pictures, but could get more.

Vcardenes (Vcardenes)
Username: Vcardenes

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pat, your images are very intersting for me, I work on roofing slate weathering, can I use them for my work?.
Victor Cardenes
roofingslate.wordpress.com

Paigehull (Paigehull)
Username: Paigehull

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For installing the snow guards you will have to replace the whole thing. Roofs have three main parts: the outer covering; the internal timber structure; and external roof features. Replacing the roof is not an easy task you will have to consider all aspects of the roof, learn this here now how to install and what security measures to be taken while replacement.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't it hard to walk on your porch with it standing on its' side like that? Shawn Camara is a good man to talk to to. Tell him Crookston said "hey'

Pat (Pat)
Username: Pat

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We will be looking at different slates but I think we would stick with the same slate. I'll be doing some research on quarries this winter. If anyone has had any good experiences with a certain quarry I would love to hear your opinion. I have requested information from Camara Slate quarry.

Milo (Milo)
Intermediate Member
Username: Milo

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pat,
Great to hear that you plan on replacing the slate with new slate rather than another roofing material. I believe this preserves the true "character" of the house.

MILO

Pat (Pat)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what I thought. I just needed to hear it from someone with more experience. It's a great roof, one of only two left on the street with the original slate the rest have had asphalt shingles installed. We have only had one leak and that was from a previous bad repair performed prior to us purchasing our home. I think this upcoming Spring we will do it. I'll save the snow guards for the new slate.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The slates are not 'brittle" they are rotted. To install the snow rail system you are going to have to take apart the bottom. If you can finish the worst of it with what you have I would do that. It is going to be a case of replacing the whole thing sooner than later. 105 years is not bad for the slates you have.

Pat (Pat)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate roof

Pat (Pat)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate

Pat (Pat)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Dutch Colonial that is over 105 years old and is comprised of Vermont sea green slate. The roof has a pitch of 6/12. I live in Boston and decided it was time to install snow guards for safety especially after last winter. I was torn between the Mullane 200 snow guards Or the Sieger snow rail. Long story short I went with the Mullane 200. I'm just running into very brittle slate. The slates almost have to be peeled off one another and I am replacing almost one slate for each snow guard. I have 200 replacement slates so that's not problem but I'm questioning my initial decision of going with the Mullane 200. Should I go with the snow rail or should I try to loosen some of the surrounding slates before installing the retrofit snow guard?

(Message edited by Pat on November 01, 2015)

(Message edited by Pat on November 01, 2015)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration