Ability of a Roof to Support (Thick)... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Ability of a Roof to Support (Thick) Slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brycenesbitt (Brycenesbitt)
Intermediate Member
Username: Brycenesbitt

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's definitely an Engineering question.
Climate matters, earthquake zone matters. That chimney is a gonner for example anywhere on the west coast, near the New Madrid fault, or other places.

See also http://slatetec.net/ for a method of installing slate with less headlap, thus lower weight. Or maybe http://www.slatespacer.com/ which in fact "thickens" the slate to appearances, without actually using thicker slate.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That looks more like an 8/12 to me, but that may be th4e picture too.I have been on some of these old homes where they had 4 and 5 layers of shingles on them with only 2x4 rafters on 24 inch centers. I kind of think hat it would hold up. Do you have a lot of snow where you are located? That could make a difference as the snow load could make it risky. On the other hand, it you don't install any snow guards, it would probably slid off the roof. Good luck and let us know what the engineers sayt.

Milo (Milo)
Intermediate Member
Username: Milo

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the near future I hope to replace my roof with slate and after much looking I have found the "thick slate roof" most appealing. My question is if my roof would be able to support the weight of 3/4" slates. I will most likely hire a structural engineer to do an assessment before purchasing any
"thick" slate but was hoping someone here could, from their experience, give me any advice to prevent me from taking a path that would be a dead end. My (1923)roof is a combination of hip and gable ends with I believe is a 10/12 pitch. The framing is mostly actual(vs nominal) 2x6s with rafters on 16 in centers. Collar ties and knee walls are used. Decking is 1" rough cut pine/hemlock.
I would not be to worried about using standard thickness slate as the current (original roof) is asbestos tile laid in a standard slating style (8X16 " tiles with 3 " headlap) and from what I can gather is comparable to standard slates in weight (700-800#/square). This has held up fine for almost 100 yrs with no structural problems noted. But with 3/4-1" slates coming in at 3000-4000# per square I have no idea if the roof could support this without added support. I have included some pictures of the roof.

Again, I understand that this is an engineering question and I assure you that I will have a professional assess before going forward but was hoping to get I idea if I this is something that I may be able to do.

thanks,
Milo

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration