Cleaning slaate roofs? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Cleaning slaate roofs? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andredthompson (Andredthompson)
Username: Andredthompson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read this article about replacing slate roofs and it honestly seems easier than cleaning it ol. I agree with Joe above.. in 45 years of woring on slate roofs i have never cleaned one...

Davidconklin (Davidconklin)
Username: Davidconklin

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am cleaning and hanging salvaged purples and blacks on an exterior (and later an interior) north wall as siding.
The slate is beautiful but is dulled from the washing/scrubbing process as well as age.

Once the wall in complete I plan to gently power wash/rinse the wall.

Can you recommend and finish coat to be applied (brushed on?) to bring out the colors and seal the slate?
I have been reading about Linseed oil?
What can you recommend to bring out the beautiful colors of the slate and how ofter would I need to reapply?

Thanks for your thoughts.

(Message edited by davidconklin on September 16, 2016)

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 869

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dark stains on roofs are getting to be a common problem in some areas:

http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR6_bits_pieces.html#cleaning

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have pictures? I would almost bet that it has something to do with the ventilation or lack of it in the attic. Is there a cathedral ceiling below the area where it is darkening

Tbrowd (Tbrowd)
Username: Tbrowd

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our home is 10.5 years old and has a large slate roof with mingled colored tiles. We have had no issues with it and love the way it looks. We are curious though as to some areas on the roof that appear to be darkening - almost as though it is dirty. There are NO trees hanging over the house or really even close to the house. It is interesting that all these areas (see pictures) are on the north side of the house although these areas all get tons of sunlight. What is it? Will it get worse? Should something be done to it?

Vcardenes (Vcardenes)
Username: Vcardenes

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I've just watched a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl7v0cfcTBY) explaining a new process for cleaning and protecting a slate roof. First they clean using a slightly acid product, and then apply another product, an hydrofugant to prevent further dirt. The result is a roof with a non-natural aspect (and I'm not sure about its evolution).
So, is worth cleaning?. In my opinion, maybe not, the slate is a natural rock which evolves, and that should be an advantage, not a defect. But of course each case is different, and sometimes you have to do something regarding the aspect of the roof.
Thanks for your comments
Victor Cardenes
roofingslate.wordpress.com

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What Joe said about cleaning real slates. I have cleaned off asbestos slates using a power washer with water but no chemicals. The copper ridges I installed do work to keep the moss under control. One I did about 20 years ago still looks good. It is the salts in the copper that kills the moss I believe.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 863

Posted on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Victor,

In 45 years of working on slate roofs, I have never cleaned one.

Joe

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't clean them. The moss hurts nothing on real slates. I have cleaned off asbestos slates before and then installed copper ridge caps to keep the moss under control No chemicals though, so I can't tell you what the long term effects would be.

Vcardenes (Vcardenes)

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the silence tells a lot...
Victor Cardenes

Vcardenes (Vcardenes)

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.
Recently I've seen some videos on youtube about slate cleaning directly on the roof. Sure you know what I mean.
But, is this type of cleaning really effective?. When you see the viedo everything is marvellous, but I don't know who the roofs may behave in 5 years after a cleaning with chemical products, that may have a good result at the moment but be harmful in medium-long term. This is my question to experienced slate contractors (no cleaning companies, please), what is your opinion about these type of tasks?.
Thanks.
Victor Cardenes

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration