Finished attic insulation under slate... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Finished attic insulation under slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 857

Posted on Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of the old slate roofs are self-ventilating. The deck is made of boards with spaces in between them (from shrinkage)and the old felt paper has dried up. Air can move through this. It's when you have plywood and peel and stick membrane that you have ventilation problems.

On the other hand, you may consider adding roof vents: http://josephjenkins.com/store/roof-air-vents/

Gable vents can be a good approach as well. If you insulate your ceiling, then the space above it in the roof should be the same temp as outdoors, year-round.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To vent properly, you need an intake and an exhaust. If you are redoing the room, now is the time. It will require putting in some soffit ventilation, perhaps installing same rigid insulation between the rafters with an air space beneath the roof decking, and then an exhaust in the upper attic space. Perhaps a power vent or a gble vent or a power gable vent. Email me if you need specificas. good luck.

Rlith (Rlith)
Username: Rlith

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we've lived a finished attic since we bought our house a few years ago. (1920 Victorian with slate roof). From the way the heat/cold is in that room and how hot the physical ceiling gets I'm guessing there is little to no insulation above the beadboard ceiling. We're redoing the space. My question is venting the ceiling. I know i need to put vents between the rafter joists. How do I vent through a slate roof? Do I have someone add vents? Kind of lost on this one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration