Customer wants to do half a roof in s... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Customer wants to do half a roof in slate......... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a plan to me. Good luck on the job and send us some pictures.

Frankk56 (Frankk56)
Username: Frankk56

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for reply and I did consider doing that as well just as a precaution, slate is 11"W x 22"L and barely 3/16" and most the thicknesses are .167" thick and did measure about 40 of them to get a good average thickness.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should be all right with that. Maybe run 3 or 4 "xes" in the attic to tie the outside walls together. They would be like the collar ties you are talking about, but would run down to the plate and up to about 5 feet from the ridge, and then the other would be a mirror image going to the other plate This will tie everything together and keep it from starting to move. The slate is not that much heavier than the shingles if it is thin, but just make sure you replace all of the bad wood and rafters. good luck with that one.

Frankk56 (Frankk56)
Username: Frankk56

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I have a customer that wants to replace his roof, one half at a time. That's right one half now, other half who knows when.

I have done slate roofs years ago with my dad, and that was a hell of a long time ago, done a lot of slate tile roof repairs.

Now i get this call, wanted to do half the roof with asphalt shingles and bought used slate, it looks really nice, a bit thin but overall nice slate.

He wants to do half of the roof now and the other half in a year or 2 who knows when. 10/12 roof balloon style framing on 24" centers. and roof area is aprox 45'L x 12'W.

Big concern of mine is the weight increase, added weight on wide side pushing against the other side causing separation. I believe adding ridge collars and running a purlin down each side of the roof it should be safe, but if I knew for sure then I would not be asking this in here ;)

the roof has some bad rafters and they will be replaced along with the 1x 12 roof decking that is bad.

Would this help to keep the roof secure enough or would I need to add struts and hangers for additional support? would it be rigid enough that the slate be okay and not crack?

The ridge I think I can run 1 or 2 rows of slate on the other side over some of the shingles to seal the ridge because he can't afford a pretty new copper ridge cap.

is this all doable or is my head up the orifice? :p

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration