Sika Flex 1A Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Sika Flex 1A « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nick, what kind of gutters are you looking at? My brother at classic gutters sells half round in up to 26 foot pieces, and it is 4 times stronger than the regular half round. He has all of the accessories too and that makes it easy. Classicgutters.com will get you there. If you don't have too long a piece, you can do it seamless. I have one of his machines and I run the gutter for gutter guys. the longest piece we have installed is 135 feet. Sweet!

Nick (Nick)
Username: Nick

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Reimund. Thanks for your response. I will draw up exactly what the layout looks like (roof/gutter plan w/ outlet locations) and post it so that you can see the full scope of the project.

Reimund (Reimund)
Username: Reimund

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nick,
Solder it together!!
If you are worried about expansion/contraction, build it into the system. First of all it would be nice to see the roof/gutter plan, so that I can understand what you are dealing with. If you need to build in an expansion/contraction joint, there can be two ways that I know of.
Depending on where the outlets need to be. One way is to solder two end caps in next to each other at a sliding overlapping joint. The water needs to have somewhere to flow to on this method. Or Buy a half round rubber expansion joint and solder it in. They work great!!!

Nick (Nick)
Username: Nick

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi: I need to install some 60 feet of copper half round gutters on my wrap around porch and one of outfits local to me recommended pop rivets and Sika Flex 1a in lieu of soldering them. I have never heard of Sika Flex and I searched over these discussion topics and don't see any mention of it. Does anyone know how the performance of Sika Flex 1a stacks up against solder, strength-wise, longevity, visual aesthetics, etc? My area can get as cold as -20F in winter and as hot as 105F summer (worst case).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration