No slate stretcher required : Einfac... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » No slate stretcher required : Einfach Schuppenschablonendach Turret « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reimund (Reimund)
Username: Reimund

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to thank Bryce for the turret post and for the follow up post. Bryce and I met on a project in which Bryce was involved in. Bryce admires old world workmanship and slate roofs do fit that category. He also took a liking to myself and my son, Justin. The fourth and fifth generation father son team is unique.

I have done several turrets and always wanted to try something that would/could produce better results than the American/English style. Meaning a method where the slates would lay better and more stable. And the little pieces near the top rows, I always questioned.

After going through all my fathers technique and rule books from Germany, I still was not sure what I was trying to create. I contacted Martin Bungartz, a German master roofer, to ask him for advice. Between the two of us, the results are in the pictures. Martin gave me lots of assurance and push. He would text me "come on, I want to see some rows!"

The slate is Camara's. I did the turret last on this project. I cut those shapes out of the remaining material on the job. Punched three holes in each one. Probably 1500 pieces.

Even this style came with its complications. The start was slow. Then things began to flow. Slate was going on. We all get paid for the finished product. Marking the rows was tricky. And I had to loose lots of stones as I went higher. You may see one stone jump two on a row below it. Or two stones jump three.

In over view of the different methods on a turret this size (45 feet around the bottom, twelve feet high and a 45 degree angle): the American/English way needs all the slates to be trimmed. The Schuppenschablonendach einfach gedeckt, many of the stones were the same. I could make a few hundred at a time. Until my arm gave out on me. Then I would nail them on in a fraction of the time.

The owner wanted for me to use his old top. I had to extend it downwards to cover the last rows of slate.

The deck and prep work is another story. I can address this if anyone is interested.

Respectfully, Reimund and Justin

(Message edited by Reimund on May 15, 2015)

Brycenesbitt (Brycenesbitt)
Intermediate Member
Username: Brycenesbitt

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ray wants me to mention that http://www.germanroofconsulting.com/ , Martin Bungartz, consulted on this job. Martin may also have supplied the 23 letter word.

Unfortunately entire phrase translates to something boring like "simple shed roof template"

Note that Ray's website is http://www.kandsroofing.com/

(Message edited by brycenesbitt on May 14, 2015)

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What fun! I just love the German words for things. That must be 30 letters long, and I am sure it says something like "curved pieces to fit on a circle roof" in German. The bottom line is that it takes a lot of time and effort to do a round roof, but the results speak volumes. Nice job Ray!

Brycenesbitt (Brycenesbitt)
Intermediate Member
Username: Brycenesbitt

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a counterpoint to the slate stretching thread:
http://jenkinsslate.com/messages/messages/3/8967.html?1430957152

Have a look at the picture and story on Ray Kroeck's latest job:
http://www.houzz.com/projects/1092106/old-world-turret

Einfach Schuppenschablonendach by Reimund Kroeck and Son

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration