Anybody have a "slate stretcher?"... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Anybody have a "slate stretcher?" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good question! Slate is very forgiving would be the best answer I can give.

I talked to another roofer in town yesterday about a different roof. He has gotten a job to re-slate a roof but didn't know that the slate he was going to buy was the true slate instead of real slate. He also didn't realize that the existing roof was a graduated slate roof. I tell ya, the tuition on these is going to be a bitch!

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 312

Posted on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With that said: how do you explain tiny bell tower slates functioning on a 6-12 pitch with only 1 inch of sidelap: (3" wide slates). I've repaired two of these and scratched my head both times because it defies logic, but the roofs where both there and dry for over 100 years no underlay either. I don't think it's good practice but I've seen it done and last a long time

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 855

Posted on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem with gapping slates like that is the nails aren't covered adequately, increasing the likelihood of leakage. The object is to center the joint but also to cover the nail as much as possible.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked at those pictures of the spread slate again and I figured out when the other "roofer" was thinking. Whatever slate he had in his hand was installed and it went over the slate below it almost centered on the joint. That gave him the best chance of not having the water run beneath them, but also explains the widely varying and random gaps between the slates. What a goof!

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Victor, Email me! John crookston

Vcardenes (Vcardenes)
Username: Vcardenes

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow!
Can I use some of these photos (mentioning the source, of course) for my publications?.
Victor Cardenes
roofingslate.wordpress.com

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have worked on this castle over the years, but not for the last 20. I have to put together the spec for the rehab of the exterior`and hopefully they can get the money together to save it before it falls apart. I have never seen any slate repaired quite like this one. I guess "Wow" says it all.

https://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/HendersonCastle?authkey=Gv1sRgCOq28 sCpxdHSaQ#6141085858916171202

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration