Geometric Layout Method: equal gradua... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Geometric Layout Method: equal graduations with no math « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I reread what you wrote about the metal strips and it jogged my memory. There is a guy in Grand Rapids Michigan that makes something called "G" tape. It is just that only it is for "marking" the lines for shingle installation. It is just a light plastic tape that roils onto the roof that has the exact layout for shingles on it. You roll it out on both ends of the roof and then just strike the lines on the marks without having to mark them from a tape. I just use a tape measure, but I can see how for some people it would be easier to use the tape. He has it for laying out stud walls on buildings too. It works.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurt, I have watched the videos of your work with copper etc. and I must say that for a "dyslectic" you are amazing! What neat and complicated work! Therefore, I say whatever method you use is certainly correct! I just swing my tape because it eliminates about 4 steps for me.. whatever works. It is the results we are interested in. It is important that you showed your work and your thought process, as it shows me how your mind works. It is interesting that we use calculators and yet we mostly don't know how they work, yet we trust the answers they give. I know when I was in high school, my physics teacher had us using slide rules and they are like a mechanical calculator. All of the answers are arrived at using logarithms and we had to go through all of those tables to know how to use them and arrive at the answers. I have totally forgotten how it all works by now, but I know the concept. It is much easier to use a calculator! Basically, the way we do it now is calculus with lines and squares. It is all correct. Good show.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 311

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But yeah, swinging the tape with a convenient multiple will produce the same results and actually uses the same geometric principle: parallel line development. but if you were ticking those marks on the tape directly onto your surface, you would still have to copy that graduation onto a story stick, for siding anyway. This lets you transfer the breakdown exactly to the story stick with no xfer. rip the marked stick and you have a guide for each side.

I do my roof scales with strips of sheet metal instead of story stick, I don't like to put marks on the underlayment because it can move around sometimes. I have pre-made numbered scales for common exposure, you unroll the strip from the top and count the courses, then swing the scale strip just like the tape, method, until you hit the same number on the scale strip. Had to find a way that worked with my brain :)

Kwhord (Kwhord)

Post Number: 310

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have trouble with numbers, dyslexia. The tape is used to verify things sometimes or to transfer, but I try to stick to using marking sticks with no numbers because I flip them a lot.

Luckily blessed in other areas like geometry. I can't even do multi. in my head, but I can plot almost anything with square and compass.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurt, you can do the same thing by just swinging your tape measure. Just pick the next number up that is evenly divisible by the number of courses desired. IE. 44 and mark every 4 inches on the wall or roof. This works even better if the roof is out of square and the measurements are different on each end. You will have the same number of courses and the angle of the tape will automatically adjust the lengths so that the difference at either end is exact!

If you want to get equal openings, mesure the whole thing. If you are concerned with the "top" lines of the slates or siding, just mark the top of the first one, and then the top of the course closest to the top and then swing your tape between them, just making sure you have allowed for the first course. For instance, on your example, if you were using 6 inch wide pieces of siding, the top of the first course would be at 6 inches and the top of the second course would be at 6 inches plus the average lap. (9 3/8"?) Just measure from the 6 " mark at an angle that is evenly divisible and it will be perfect! Good demo though!

Kwhord (Kwhord)

Post Number: 309

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't get the code to work:

http://youtu.be/8ktFaoUM_Z0

Try that one...

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing shows up on your link!

Kwhord (Kwhord)

Post Number: 308

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've watched guys scratch their heads and do breakdowns too many times. The other day I ran into someone who said it could ONLY be done by a person who can do the long division, or with a calculator. OH?

Your great grandfather didn't have a calc, but they knew something more important: geometry

http://youtu.be/8ktFaoUM_Z0

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration