Help with "Mass Save" and slate roof ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Help with "Mass Save" and slate roof ventilation? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Illpostino (Illpostino)
Username: Illpostino

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2014 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your response and patience!

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2014 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All ventilation is good. Make sure that they install the vent baffles at the bottom to give it a channel to get in. If there is a window in the attic area, you can open that and let the air out. It will breathe through the slates, but not like a vent. You will not hurt it with soffit vents.

Illpostino (Illpostino)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2014 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well after using the search function quite a bit for discussions of soffit vents I managed to miss the thread directly before mine.

In that thread, Old_School writes, "As far as the ventilation in the roof you can install the soffit vent baffles and if there is a way to vent the soffit to let in some air, that would be great. The slate will breathe a bit if you let the air in."

I take this to mean that adding soffit vents, even without adding additional roof vents, is a reasonable way to increase air flow in an attic with a slate roof.

Sound right?

Thanks again in advance for any input.

Illpostino (Illpostino)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
In Massachusetts there's a program called Mass Save -- a partnership with utilities companies to increase energy efficiency in homes.

After having my Mass Save "audit," I received a proposal for insulating my attic floor, but to have the work done the program requires that I add soffit vents.

From what I've read on this site, this is not necessary for a slate roof, which is a breathable system.

So my question is whether I am *harming* anything by jumping through this hurdle and trying to find someone to add soffit vents? (Oddly, the program did not specify that I had to install any corresponding roof vents. I do not understand the reasoning here, since from reading this site I gather that the soffits would be the "intake" and there would need to be an "exhaust" somewhere, which there isn't beyond the breath- ability of the roof itself.)

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration