Need Baffles When Insulating Attic Fl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Need Baffles When Insulating Attic Floor Under Slate Roof? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2014 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My pleasure

Jvdsteeg (Jvdsteeg)
Username: Jvdsteeg

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old_School

Thank you for the rapid reply. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I certainly do not want to do anything to destroy/harm the slate roof. Again, your help is much appreciated and Happy Holidays to you.

Best,

John

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, spraying the urethane into the ceiling cavities won't change the dynamic of the ventilation at all. It will contain the moisture into the living area because it will act as a vapor barrier. You may want to look into a system to exchange the air in the house to keep it from getting musty or stale. If you are doing nothing to the windows or walls it won't be too bad, but be aware of it. As far as the ventilation in the roof yo8u can install the soffit vent baffles and if there is a way to vent the soffit to let in some air, that would be great. The slate will breathe a bit if you let the air in. Good luck.

Jvdsteeg (Jvdsteeg)
Username: Jvdsteeg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in a similar situation to Sean in that I have a stone Tudor which was built in the 1930's. The only difference is that I don't have a gable window, in fact I have no venting at all and the roof is in great shape. My plan is to do the same thing Sean mentioned, rafter baffles to keep the insulation off of the roof boards, but I am planning to remove the attic floor so that I can have direct access to the ceiling of the rooms below, from above. I am thinking of having spray foam applied to the ceiling from above, then blown insulation. It seems like this should still allow the roof to breathe, yet also make the house more comfortable.
If anybody with more experience has an informed opinion, I would appreciate some feedback.

Regards,

John

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sean, When it was built, I doubt if there was any insulation. What you now see was added in the past. If it is not forming ice now, I doubt if it will form any more ice if you increase the insulation on the floor. Will it hurt to put in the proper vents? No, and feel free to do that if you want. You could also just put some 1 inch insulation cut to the width of the rafters to slide between them and hold it away from the decking to keep the space. If there are no soffit vents however there is no air moving from the soffit. It would be important to make sure that the window stays open and lets in outside air. that is more important than the baffles, though they are all potentially important. You are on the right track.

Wsean (Wsean)
Username: Wsean

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm planning to add insulation to the attic floor of our home to prevent heat loss. House is a 1930s stone Tudor with slate roof.

The roof does not have soffit vents nor does it have a ridge vent but it seems to breathe fine through the existing roof boards and a gable window (there are the usual gaps, etc. in the roof boards found on older roofs).

The attic floor has a vapor barrier and old loose-fill insulation. My plan is to add fiberglass batts to the attic floor.

In prepping to add insulation, I noticed that there was loose blown insulation all the way out the rafter tails touching the roof decking (where soffit vents would normally be).

My plan is to get this loose blown insulation away from the roof decking and install rafter vents/baffles to keep the original loose fill insulation and the new fiber glass insulation away from the roof boards.

I know the rafter/baffles vents are designed for roofs with soffit vents, but my thought process is that even without soffit vents, keeping the insulation away from the roof boards will help the roof continue to breathe/vent naturally like' it's been doing.

Looking for a sanity check on this approach--my biggest concern is that I don't screw up the existing roof ventilation by adding the baffles/vents.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration