Valley repairs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Valley repairs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 833

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd definitely replace the valley.

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've replaced valleys on slate roofs worse than that; as long as they are not ribbon slate!
Looks like you will need around 30-35 slate to do this one valley.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 306

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does look like black penn. Although the photo is a little confusing. The shimmer on the pullback photos makes me think it might be a hard variety. Monson or peach if so. I have seen both "flake" like that. I don't see the chalkiness or blue/ grey you would expect from black penn

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The very bottom slate on the valley picture looks like it is a Vermont slate, but the rest of them do look like they are the softer Pennsylvania slates. They do start to flake like that. If you can take one off and tap it to hear the "ring" that would tell you a lot! If it "thumps" when you tap it it is rotted and you might just as well take them off and replace them.

Ddenne (Ddenne)
Username: Ddenne

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry that first picture was so big. Here are a few others that show more of the roof.

Thanks, Dan

FlakingSlate
Roof

Ddenne (Ddenne)
Username: Ddenne

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My valleys have been leaking and I'm wondering if I have hard or soft slate. Purchased "The SR Bible" so I assume it's PA black and soft. Can someone confirm? Is this worth trying to remove slate, repair valley and reinstall slate or is it at end of life?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dan

Valley

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration