Saddle Ridge Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Saddle Ridge Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 832

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Milo,

I don't think it makes much difference. A lot of the blowing rainy weather here in western PA comes out of the south and west. A lot of the snow comes out of the north. Long lingering rains come out of the east. Take your pick.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Milo (Milo)
Username: Milo

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although the question is a little late as I am just about finished the ridge on my garage I was wondering if there is any consensus on which side a saddle ridge should be started in realation to the areas prevalent weather patterns. On my garage I started the ridge at the north side of the roof and after looking at it realized that the ridge may be more "weathertight" if I would have stated it on the south side (here in northwest PA the wind, rain, snow etc usually comes from the North and West). I am not too worried about it as I did adequately flash the ridge per the instructions found here on SRC and gave the peak a good bead of GE silicone II caulking but was wondering if the direction it is laid makes any great difference as far as weather tightness. I have included a photo below (borrowed from the web site...not of my garage) to illustrate my question more clearly.

Thanks for any suggestions or input,
Milo
I started my hip roof saddle ridge on the North side of the garage and worked South.

(Message edited by milo on October 19, 2014)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration