Jim Thorpe PA - Real Slate vs Synthet... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Jim Thorpe PA - Real Slate vs Synthetic Slate - In need of contractors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John just about said it all! Nothing lasts quite as much like slate as "slate" go figure! The fake stuff tends to curl and fade. I have dome some that lasted about 10 years so far and they still look good, but 10 years is a long way from a lifetime roof.

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In general, synthetic slates are all pretty bad except for the old asbestos ones. When the asbestos was taken out of the synthetic slates in the early 90's, all the different variations have failed pretty badly. We've removed a number of synthetic slate roofs that were less than 5 years old!

If slate seems out of reach, you can go with a salvaged slate or a qwik slate installation which would still allow for a 3" head lap. If that is still out of reach, I would suggest going with a dimensional shingle that looks like slate. Any of the high end shingles would out perform the synthetic slates, in my opinion.

If you're interested in a natural slate roof quote, you can contact us at www.durableslate.com or 877-340-9181.

John Chan
The Durable Slate Company
605 Lofstrand Lane
Rockville, MD 20850

jchan@durableslate.com
www.durableslate.com

Amosite (Amosite)
Username: Amosite

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 120+ year old victorian home in Jim Thorpe PA with the origional slate roof. The roof is in need of replacement, and I had pretty much decided on going with a Synthetic (fake) slate based on research I have been doing over the past 6 months. That was until I found this site. I am looking for any input I can receive on what experiences or thoughts anyone may have on real vs synthetic slate. I would also greatly appreciate being contacted by any slate roof contractors (real or synthetic). The synthetic that I found (that based on my research was the best bang for the buck) is an Ecostar product. A 12" wide Class C Fire Rated Product made with 80% recycled materials. Anyway, any and all input would be greatly apprciated. This is a project I hope to have done within the next two months. Thanks. B

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration