Saddle Hip Repair Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Saddle Hip Repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pmj (Pmj)
Username: Pmj

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2014 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Kwhord.

Did this just as you said and it went fine.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 299

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pl construction adhesive. and make sure you are gluing to the nailed bib, not slate to slate. it will make repair a little easier in the future.

When I said "get creative" about pulling the nails: you can use a modified ripper with one side cut off, or very careful action with a sawzall.

Pmj (Pmj)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2014 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tip. Not in a high wind area. Been there 22 years and this is the first one to come loose.

What type of glue should I use?

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 298

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they can be a little tricky. Because the nails are usually too close together to grab with a ripper: you have to get kind-of creative. Also since there's no rain line, there is nowhere to center nail and bib. For spot repairs we install flashing, chip off the tar, and use PL and glue them back in place. We are gluing to the nailed flashing so the slates aren't glued together. For a full restoration we dismantle, replace the nailer strip, and re-install the hips with step flashing. The new hips I think should get a dab of glue in high wind areas. I know this isn't traditional but I don't think a saddle hip is for costal/high wind areas either.

Pmj (Pmj)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a homeowner and with the Slate Bible and tools from Jenkins Slate have successfully replaced 1 - 2 dozen slates on my 1926 home . Given how long slate lasts I find this very satisfying work! What I need is advice on how to replace a single slate on a saddle hip. I see installation from scratch but not how to replace just one broken one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration