EXPERT SLATERS please explain the "Di... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » EXPERT SLATERS please explain the "Diamond" pattern « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas Massie
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First disclaimer:
I am not a professional slater
Second disclaimer:
This isn't the exact layout I used on my outhouse.
Third disclaimer:
I wouldn't let anyone nail this to your house unless they have done this before and understand why it might or might not work. Personally I would like to see a little more headlap than what is depicted here. a 22" slate would solve the problem, but then again, I don't think 22x10 is a standard slate size, so you'd have to cut slates or special order them, or try to make this diagram work with a 22x11.

But you asked, and I'm game, so here is my best guess as to how you might layout a hexagonal pattern with 20x10 slates... I hope this helps you get the discussion started, because I can't provide any more bad advice beyond this. :)

LAyout Diagram

Anne B. Horton
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,
Okay, your picture helps tremendously. Now, if I have a 10 inch wide slate, with a 30 degree cut at each bottom, how long is the slate so that all exposed areas are equal in length??? How does this work?

Thank you very much ahead of time!!!!
Anne

Thomas Massie
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anne,

It's easier than you might think. Lapping patern is standard (American?) pattern. Just cut the ends of the slates so they come to a point. To get a nice "perfect" hexagon shape, make two 30 degree cuts (might need to adjust the angle some to get all 6 sides of your hexagon the same length if that's what you want) on the butts of the slates. I used 18 and 20" long slates with 3" of headlap (11" wide slates). Lay it out on a computer or piece of paper and pay attention to where the rain channels and nail holes are. Once you've convinced yourself it will work on paper, then put it into slate. I will try attaching a picture of my one and only attempt at this. You can see I had a whole lot of confidence... I put this pattern into my outhouse. :)

outhouse slate roof

Anne B. Horton
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to match my neighbors -

Stephen J Taran
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One like this roof

Anne B. Horton
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, if we want a "diamond" pattern slate roof, what shape slate do we use (Joe's page 165) and what lapping method is used (French, Dutch, etc)?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration