White stains on grey slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » White stains on grey slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Victor! It certainly looks like whatever they did is not working...or it is working all right, but not the way they wanted.

Vcardenes (Vcardenes)
Username: Vcardenes

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
My name Is Victor Cardenes, I've just registered in the forum. I'm geologist and work in roofing slate research.
For this cover, it seems that the successive chemical cleanings affected the carbonates of the slate, and probably the iron sulfides. These groups of minerals are common, and under some conditions may lead to weathering and damaging of the slate.
According with my point of view, applying aggressive products on slates might make things worse. As a general rule, cleaning of slate should be done very carefully, and always with mechanical methods.
Hope this information is useful to anyone!
Victor Cardenes
roofingslate.wordpress.com

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2014 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This looks very similar to a Brazilian black slate roof I inspected in Florida a few years ago. Any ideas on the origin?

Joe is right. There's still a good bit of rust on the slate.

Phosphoric acid is a good cleaner for slate flooring. I've never seen it used on a roof, but the acid must be diluted. Full strength phosphoric acid can permanently damage the slate's appearance. I don't know much about how the acid affects the slate's service life.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 828

Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like the rust is still there. Is that Spanish slate?

Tmorgan (Tmorgan)
Username: Tmorgan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are a cleaning/coating contractor in Florida.
We cleaned the Mold off of a grey slate roof with Sodium hypochlorite and roof snot a surfactant. It cleaned up well and looked great at the end of the day, However there were rust spots under it. The contractor we were working for asked us if we could get that off. We tried F9 which is a rust remover( primarily phosphoric acid). It worked on the rust, and looked good but the next day the roof had white hazing covering it.

We have tried to remove this hazing and are having no success so far.

Does anyone know what this is, and have you found a solution to addressing this?

Thank you.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration