Snow blasted Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Snow blasted « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, there are synthetic self adhered sheets with a woven surface, but they also make just a woven sheet that is waterproof and has a good walkability. You must nail it down with plastic cap nails so it doesn't leak, but it will last in the sun for 6 months or so and it will not rip. I doesn't stick to the slates either. A good alternative to felts.

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)
Advanced Member
Username: Catfeesh

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2014 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you referring to ice & water shield? I see the copper guys using different breathable poly underlays. Their msds's look pretty good, but I wonder how they hold up.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heck, swimming pools leak all the time, and they are designed to hold water. Actually, I like the new synthetic underlayments. They will keep the roof dry until the slate is on, and they don't dry out either. It is easy to fix the slates with them because it doesn't stick to the back. I know that is not the "purest" reply that people like, but it works. John

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I shouldn't really call it snow, it was ice dust, something like the size of pollen. I was outside in the storm, and without an air-tight roof, it was unstoppable. The dust came in at several locations, some close to eave. Using the drifts as a guide I could've used a plumb-bob to roughly figure out where it sprinkled down from. If the wind had been from a different direction, I would've seen a different drift pattern inside. In this case the strong winds carrying the dust came from one of the two worst directions, straight against my south facing 12/12 slope.

I'm thinking my cabin will need to be more primitive in order to cope with moisture events like this.

Although I opted out of asphalt felt for environmental reasons, it may be worth mentioning in the next Bible edition that asphalt felt may potentially function as a snow barrier.

I need to move south.
snow floor
wind direction

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 827

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should be inside the roof when the snow is coming in so you can pinpoint the place of origin. Could be the ridge.

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2014 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

snow floor
snow attic

(Message edited by catfeesh on June 23, 2014)

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2014 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had snow blow in through my slate roof last winter. It was minimal, but concerns me as I plan to install drywall on my ceiling. I don't think it happens often, but strong winds and micro snow made it through the tiniest of cracks, and into my chimney flashing. I found a good reason why one should install asphalt felt. I could stuff the 1/4-1/2" sheathing board gaps with something like coir or burlap?

Do you guys have any tips or advice?

(Message edited by catfeesh on June 23, 2014)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration