Is my roof strong enough for slate? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Is my roof strong enough for slate? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theojkett (Theojkett)
Username: Theojkett

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Old School. All the info I gave you is accurate. I will not be putting any ice guards on, rather it just slide off. I currently have a layer of asphalt shingles on the roof that I plan on removing before putting on the slate. Those that built the cabin did not do a stellar job and there are leaks.
Thank you for your input!!
Ted

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ted, at 8/12 pitch as long as you don't put any ice guards on it, the snow will slide off quite easily. Basically you have made trusses out of the rafters and if your geometry is correct, the weight is now transferred to the outside plate. It should be plenty strong enough to hold the weight. remember that they used to apply 2 or 3 or 4 layers of shingles on them before they would tear them off and that weighs as much as the slate you want to put on.

The plywood will hold it, but it is not the best alternative for the slate roof attachment. Solid decking is better for a lot of reasons. You could always go over the decking with a layer of solid wood and then apply the slates. Another thing you could do is just space 1 x 4's over the plywood where your nailing is going to be for the slates. That would be the best of both worlds.

Post some pictures for us to look at. Good luck with this one.

Theojkett (Theojkett)
Username: Theojkett

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My cabin is 624 sqft and it was constructed entirely 2x6 including the roof (not my doing), I've added on a bedroom and utility room with 2x8 roof construction. All three areas have 3/4" plywood. I recently installed 2x10 supports that angle into each of the 2x6 rafters in the middle of their span on each side. That is to say I have an 8/12 slope and the length of each slope is 13', at the middle point of 7.5' I have added 2x10's that attach to each roof rafter and angle down perpendicular from them to 2x10 open ceiling framing. It's an open vaulted ceiling and I created a center post with ceiling beams of 2x10's to add support to the roof for snow load. There is zero flex in the roof now. The spans on the other rooms are typical 2x8 construction across a short span each. All roof areas maintain the 8/12 pitch. The other two smaller rooms are 12x12 and 8x10.
I have obtained enough used slate to do the entire roof of the house, just not sure if the roof structure itself is strong enough. Thoughts?

Ted

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration