What to look for in a Slate Contracto... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » What to look for in a Slate Contractor and/or Foreman « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 822

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

INSTALLATION: Eighteen Steps to a Successful Slate Roof Installation

PDF

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt, what John said!! When you said the "southeast" were you referring to Florida, Atlanta, Carolina's? John didn't say it, but his company would be right up your alley on this one. You should talk to him. P.S. I have seen his work and he is good!

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6 months? Either this is a huge project (800-1000 sqs) or you have some slow installers. You should definitely hire a slate contractor that has performed this type of work before (this size of project and difficulty) without any problems.

Fake slates and slates that don't have the full head lap are horrible ideas!! You might as well flush your money down the toilet.

As far as hooks or nails, either is good, but you have to have head lap. Hooks are especially a good choice on 21/12.

BTW, just because someone has installed slate in France/Europe doesn't mean much. Get pictures and references of previous work. There's lots of "professed" European slaters that will not be able to provide you with pictures of actual work done by themselves and references.

Good luck

Mattsv1983 (Mattsv1983)
Username: Mattsv1983

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm doing a very large job, six months minimum on a historic building. The roof will take atleast six months anyway.

I've been busy trying to learn everything I can about slate, about slate contractors, so that I can provide the best service possible to my client.

I have two options so far as I can see. One, I could hire a slate co, and I haven't had good success with that, due to control issues. I want as much work to go to the local contractors as possible, not that I don't believe the work can't be done by others, but I like keeping as much business within the community as possible. This will be a building these men can look at with their grandchildren after all. The Co I talked to wanted to do it all, and tried to manipulate my client to let him do it all. Problem for him was that I have a great relationship with the client, and a contract.

The other co was a big time commercial co, but they brought examples of slate, screwed into plywood, and then they said "it breaks easily.' I'm not an expert but I know the basics of installing slate, and then the guys tried to sell me on a rubber slate made in canada, which is a interesting product but not a substitute for slate IMO.

The other option I have is to build my own crew and get an expert foreman. I have a few guys on hand who have been all over including France, but there aren't enough of them, and I don't know their true quality.

Or, I could rent someones crew, keeping the crew busy with work and the co some money. This is of course a remote option.

The other issue I've encountered is product. I've found a co that sells a slate that weighs less than normal, by cutting it in a third, then having an interlayment in between. I think it's creative, but some of told me it isn't to par.

I've also found some who use nails, and some that use hooks. I liked the hook idea the best due to wind, but others simply frown on it. I'm no expert of course.

The main question I have is what is the average cost of labor for a slate craftsman in the southeast, and for a foreman? Pitch of 21, and 7. I'm not trying to cut costs, I'm trying to calculate costs.

Sorry for the rant, but any productive pointers would be appreciated. Also, if anyone is interested in any of the above scenarios let me know.

(Message edited by Mattsv1983 on April 21, 2014)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration