Clean Flux off Repair? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Clean Flux off Repair? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's nothing you can do to get flux out of the lock seam or a lap seam for that matter. Apply carefully, wipe away excess, and flush the surface when finished.

There are quite a few substances that will cut the flux on the surface: baking soda and water, wd-40, and dish soap, in a pinch. You can grain the copper with scotch brite after to get a nice even matte finish
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cray54 (Cray54)
Username: Cray54

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read about being certain to clean off flux after soldering. What is the best way to apply flux to a new or repaired flat-lock seam so remaining flux (inside the seam) is not a problem?

Also, I've been entertaining patching some nail holes that were placed in the valleys of a galvanized roof section. Can I just fill the holes with solder, or should I really use a small patch panel (i.e., 1" x 1"). What should I do to prevent flux from going through the hole?

Thanks - Chris

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration