Downspout discharge onto slate roofs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Downspout discharge onto slate roofs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brycenesbitt (Brycenesbitt)
Username: Brycenesbitt

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, December 06, 2013 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd be more concerned about that flashing, which looks like it may depend only on caulk. See the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnwPjsiuJfc for a way of nesting the flashing into the brick. What happens to weep water behind the bricks? What happens after the caulk gives out? The slate will last 100 years, the caulk won't.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mdodgethomas (Mdodgethomas)
Username: Mdodgethomas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 05:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings to all, first post here - slate roofs are uncommon in my area, and I don't know as much about them as I would like.

Q1. To what extent (if at all) should I be concerned about direct downspout discharges downwards across the shingles in a vertical direction at slate roofs (see attached picture).

Is there a significant likelihood of eroding the slate (as is the case on a convention shingle roof), or is this a non-issue on a slate roof?

Vertical discharge

Q2. To what extent is it an issue if the discharge is *across* the shingles(see attached picture).

Is there a significant likelihood of water penetrating under the shingles where discharge is crosswise to the vertical edges of the shingles?

Horizontal Discharge

Q3. If these are significant concerns, is there an industry source I can cite when discussing such discharge?

Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration