Which Spanish Slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Which Spanish Slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 809

Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is not that uncommon here in the US to strip the slate off when doing a remodel or addition, set them aside, then put the same slates back on if they're still good. Welsh slate should still be good at that age.

Dkg (Dkg)
Username: Dkg

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I will contact SSQ for prices or details of local suppliers.
I have ruled out the SIGA 32 and Cupa R12, but still considering the SIGA 39 is from the SIGA 'Specification' range which looks Ok to the eye and the technical specs look good (actual values vary depending on the spec sheet you look at)
Water Absorption: <0.11% or 0.22%
Carbonate content: <0.20% or 0.19%
CMoR: 73.7Mpa & 57.3Mpa

I have also seen the SIGA 172 from the 'Excellence' range listed online for an extra 35p per slate over the SIGA 39, although a little confused why they are put in a higher quality range but appear to have poorer technical spec, water absorption 0.35% and CMoR only 35Mpa & 62Mpa.

The roof is being stripped and replaced as part of a DIY loft conversion so really prefer to do the whole roof in one go, so may have to rule Welsh slate unless I get a quote back that is considerably cheaper then the £2.95 + VAT quoted for a 500mm x 250mm slate so far, although have emailed for quotes from several more suppliers over the weekend so will see what they can offer.

I seem to find many suppliers are mainly interested in quoting for there cheapest Spanish slates even after asking for prices for their top quality Spanish slates.

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure I'd use Cupa R12 or Siga. One way to budget your roof is do one half at a time if it's feasible. Then, you could use Penrhyn or Ffestiniog, and you could do it in sections. If you want Cupa, I'd probably go with R5 or 6. Better yet you can contact SSQ in London, and go with Del Carmen. I would probably go with the Del Carmen firsts. They are relatively economical and they are an excellent stone.

Dkg (Dkg)
Username: Dkg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am about to purchase the slates for the roof on my house and although would prefer to keep to Welsh slates the cost is out of my budget so looking at good quality Spanish slates as a compromise.

I was initially offered SIGA 62, SIGA 81 and Cupa RH17 but was not impressed with the look/quality and have now been offered that appear to be better quality slates but they all appear very similar in quality/appearance and at around the same price the three I have available are:
SIGA 32
SIGA 39
CUPA R12

Is any one of these better than the others or just down to personal preference on appearance.
From online data available I think SIGA 39 might be the best option but can't decide, any recommendations would be appreciated.

The removed welsh slates are not in bad condition for 108 years old and might clean them up and reuse on a future planned pitched roof garage.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration