Amateur Roof on a Garage Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Amateur Roof on a Garage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bgisticturk (Bgisticturk)
Username: Bgisticturk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 29, 2013 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ya,, Man it really looks awesome !!
But if there would be small opening for chimney then it would really look decent.
Here

Lazeyjack (Lazeyjack)
Username: Lazeyjack

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, October 04, 2013 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes does look good, has a SOLID look about it
best rgds
Stuart

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 807

Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks good Milo.

Andrew (Andrew)
Username: Andrew

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

as long as the copper under the hip slate extends to the appropriate location, you can do pretty much whatever you want with that end. all just depends on what you want to see

Milo (Milo)
Username: Milo

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a quick question about the the end of the hip detail at the eve on a roof such as the one I'm working on. Is there a perferred manner of doing this or is it subjective?...
The first pic shows one example of doing it but I dont think it is pleasing to the eye. In the second pic I used red outline to try to show how I thought I might do it on my roof. Basically cut the end of the first hip (the one that ends in the middle of the field slate) so that it runs parallel to the field slate and then cut the end of the opposing hip slate (which ends at the gable edge)even with this edge. Hope this makes sense. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MILO

(Message edited by milo on September 04, 2013)

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What fun!!That should outlast at least 2 "professional" shingle roofs and yu were able to do it yourself. Good show!

Milo (Milo)
Username: Milo

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally decided to tackle my 1 car garage roof that badly needed to replaced (all 4 layers of shingles were shot). This was my first slate job and I decided to use the "less than perfect" salvaged pieces of slate that I had picked up locally over the years. (The "good" slates are being saved for a future workshop garage). Because most of the slates were broken (although still sound)I believe just about everyone one of them had to be cut (leading me to use the pattern that I chose). The slating pattern took some time to layout to ensure that I achieved the required 3" headlap throughout. In doing so I found that much of the slate in the patterns has little exposure which added a lot of time to the project.
Most of the slating tools and supplies (except my old slate hammer found at a garge sale) were picked up locally from Joes place. The girls he had working there were very friendly and helpful.
Anyways, the roof still needs to be finshed by installing ridge slates but I wanted to thank the people who contribute to this site and Joe as I dont think I would have be able to even to start a project like this without all the info supplied here.

Milogarage roof

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration