Camara Slate, Taran Brothers, recomme... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Camara Slate, Taran Brothers, recommendations..... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr951 (Mr951)
Username: Mr951

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the pics. Where's the royal in "Royal"? Variegated and Royal don't look much different. The Penrhyn link didn't work but I looked at it on www.neslate.com. More towards the Penrhyn is what I was expecting. Did we once have "clear" purple in VT/NY and it's been quarried out or we never had it? Thought the Welsh and NY/VT slate all came from the same formation....

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 773
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

VT purple will have some green in it. You would have to specified no green splotches to the slate producer. Most of the quarries will try to put the green in the upper half of the slate to hide this with the over laying slate. You will most likely still have some spots that will be in the exposed area of the slate. Below are some links to what VT purples look like when installed and another Welsh slate, known as 'heather blue' in the U.K. If you really don't like the spots you can pull them out but you should expect some spots for an slate quarry. Or buy the Welsh for more $$!

Variegated Purple
http://www.neslate.com/images/stories/colors/450scans/vp450.jpg

Royal Purple
http://www.neslate.com/images/stories/colors/800scans/royal800.jpg

Penrhyn Unfading Purple
http://www.neslate.com/images/stories/colors/800scans/pen800.jpg

Mr951 (Mr951)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But what does purple look like? Are green imperfections, let's say bigger than the size of a quarter, expected? And if so, how many that size in an 18" slate? Or better yet, how many imperfect slates per square? Do quarries try to cut the slate so the imperfections are not on the exposed face or is that too much hassle. Just trying to determine what's the norm...

Omm (Omm)
Username: Omm

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Big money purple, and salvaged purple is worth even more

Epl (Epl)
Username: Epl

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dean,
Then you have guys like me who are getting deep discounts and allowing me to sell virtually at quarry prices (some times less depending on who you’re speaking to). What’s nice is I can do all the leg work for you, provide samples, as well as best cost and lead time. If I can help – let me know – I just filled a 150sqs. order last week (of purple).

Renaissance Tile and Slate
New and reclaimed tile and slate roofing solutions

Eric P. Loema

Office: (800) 699-5695
Fax: (815) 547-1425
Cell: (815) 378-3646
Web: www.TileandSlateSales.com
Email: epl@TileandSlateSales.com
Connect: www.linkedin.com/in/eloema
Social: www.facebook.com/TileSlate

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Friday, August 09, 2013 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good question, call where you got them from and ask them what the deal is. That is a big pencil.!

Mr951 (Mr951)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 09, 2013 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all for the excellent information. Any thoughts on the quality of purple slate today from these or any other quarries? The one square (100 sq.ft.) purple sample I received had more green splotches than I expected. Can definitely be seen from the ground. I was told any green spots would be smaller than a pencil diameter. Somebody's using 2" diameter pencils :-)
Did I get a "bad" batch or is this the state of purple slate these days?

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been in several of the quarries, and have used about 4 different vendors over the years. Lately Camara, and most of that is as a result of the attitude I saw displayed at their yard and shop. Very quality conscious.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taran Brothers is who I use, they are old school don't need the website and marketing. Camara is OK. You never know who makes the slate in the slate valley they all work together to some point. They are both good!!

Mr951 (Mr951)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, naming any slate provider in a posting can be dicey. Looking to purchase ~25 squares of 16" purple (BTW, does "clear" purple, meaning no green splotches, exist anymore?). Taran Brothers seems to be a low cost provider (no website, little marketing). Camara is well know but costs more. Any recommendations on either? Please be specific and objective with any criticism. No ad hominem please.....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration