JAFI Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » JAFI « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jafi (Jafi)
Username: Jafi

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I plan to use copper ridge metal.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how are you finishing the ridge?

saddle, cap metal, something else?

you need to subtract the exposure of the cap material, then divide by the number of courses you need.

if your ridge finish is 8", you have a total of 64.

12 courses will run 64" AT 5 1/3"

So a slight shrink in exposure rate will net an even layout, and maintain headlap.

Jafi (Jafi)
Username: Jafi

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Starting a new roof with 8 x14" slates, and wanted to know how to calculate the spacing for each row so that I don't end up with a sliver of slate at the ridge. I know the max spacing will be 5 1/2" to keep 3" minimum headlap. What is the best way to determine the row spacing to end up with a good situation at the ridge. The distance from the bottom of the starter slate to the ridge is 72".

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration