Headlap and sidelap for bevelled slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Headlap and sidelap for bevelled slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 984
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2013 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am thinking that Mr. Woodhouse was contemplating random widths and that is why he was confused. If he used random widths with clipped corners, he would be cutting into the headlap. Hey, all is well! thanks Joe.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 785

Posted on Friday, May 31, 2013 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you are right Old School. But random width slates are not typically beveled. If they are, the bevel is insignificant for the very reason you mention. Deep bevels such as when slates come to a point require uniform widths.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 983
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read that Joe and something was bothering me about the answer. It came to me today. You MUST be using slates that are all the same size and laying them so that the setback is half of the width of the slate for that to be a true statement. Random widths with a clipped corner may impinge on the headlap, depending on how clipped the corner is.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 784

Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are correct. The bevel does not affect the headlap.

Mrwoodhouse (Mrwoodhouse)
Username: Mrwoodhouse

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pretty sure I've found my answers on this board but to confirm. Does bevelling, fishscaling, etc. slate change the headlap and sidelap? Am I correct in assuming that as long as I don't reduce the length of the slate (16inches), I can make a bevel on each side of a 10X16 inch slate that is four inches up the side and two inches across the face at the bottom and not effect headlap or sidelap? This is being installed vertically for siding on a dormer. I plan to use 3 inch headlap measured from the bottom of the slate. I assume you don't now have to measure headlap from where you make the bevel (i.e. 4 inches higher).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration