Copper snow board poisoning? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Copper snow board poisoning? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 772
Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you post a photo of the "snow boards"?

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 971
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Snow boards? Are you talking about an ice fence? Is the rest of your roof copper too? The answer is yes, and it is caused by some of the copper leaching off the roof every time it rains. Normally, the copper will patina or turn green and that will normally slow it down a bit. The copper will kill the moss and algae on the roofs and it will certainly kill the grass around the downspout where it is concentrated. Actually, it is the copper salts that is doing the damage. Not much you can spray on it, though perhaps some paint will slow it down if that is the case.

Pfitz28 (Pfitz28)
Username: Pfitz28

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had copper snow boards installed 5 years ago on my slate roof. Ever since, the grass at the bottom of the downspouts is dying, in an ever-growing circle. I had the soil tested, and was told that the problem seemed to be that the soil had 10,000 more copper than normal, and was likely the cause of the grass dieback. I tried removing the soil and replacing it with new soil. That solved the problem temporarily, but the die-back is now re-occurring.

Can this be a problem due to the copper snow boards? If so, is there anything I can spray or paint on the copper to stop it?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration