Can you paint slate and will it benef... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Can you paint slate and will it benefit the longevity of the roof?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not paint the roof.

You must identify the slate in order to determine it remaining longevity.

One fellow from West Virginia sent me photos of his slate roof. The roof had been condemned and the mortgage company would not issue a mortgage. The roof however, was Buckingham slate in nearly perfect condition, with perhaps a century of life still remaining. I wrote a letter to the mortgage company to this effect and the mortgage went through.

At the top of every page on this website (except the message board page - look to the left and click on "slateroofcentral" to get to the home page) there is a link for consulting services on the top navigation bar, far right.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William Sperow
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an 1890 Farm House in the panhandle of West Virgina near Martinsburg with an original slate roof. The house has been in the family since the 1920's. Minor repairs have been made and it currently has a few leaks and some missing pieces. I have been given a number of opinions on the roof. Including its time to replace it, repair would cost as much as a new shingle roof, and others have said to paint the roof to help seal it and maintain it. Still others have said to keep patching it and fixing the leaks and let it ride.

Is it possible to paint slate and will it be beneficial to the life of the roof??

The current slate on my house is a dull grey and has been flaking a good bit into the interior attic area.

Please advise....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration