Cleaning slate roof with copper valle... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Cleaning slate roof with copper valleys and flashing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D/2 Biological Solution

Safe with great, fast results on slate roofs

http://d2bio.com/

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 957
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Milo, exactly correct. The one thing is that the longer the rafters that the water has to run down, the less effective it is. The copper spends all of its "energy" killing the moss close to the ridge and not much is left at the bottom. It would take a while.

Milo (Milo)
Username: Milo

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim,
My current roof (hope to someday replace with unfading green vermont slate) is asbestos tile and looked very similar to the one you pictured here when I bought the house. I carefully removed the moss by hand using a plastic scraper while wearing a repirator mask. All the areas of my roof that receive runoff from the copper flashings were free of moss. Like old school stated, I'm convinced that if you wanted to keep the moss from coming back after it was cleaned a copper ridge roll for all the peaks would do the job. (It might work to kill/rid the roof of all the current moss without any other intervention, albiet at a slower rate).

MILO

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 953
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those look like asbestos slates. The moss is not hurting anything. Typically, the insurance companies don't know anything about slate. It will look better cleaned, but that will not hurt the roof. If you do clean it, be careful, because you can do a lot more damage than you do good. A copper roll ridge after it is cleaned will keep it clean for a long time. FYI

Clear_choice_cleaning (Clear_choice_cleaning)
Username: Clear_choice_cleaning

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The homeowner called because she just bought the house and the insurance company will not insure the house with the roof in this condition or pay a high premium....I have only heard of this recently happening, not sure if it some liability issue or what.
Yes it has 2 long open valleys in the back of the house and 2 long and 2 short in the front, also, over the front arched porch is a large copper area covering about 20 sq. ft.
The main ingredient in my mix is sodium hypochlorite, in industrial strength, and it will kill the algae very quickly.
Thank you very much for the information...I will look into the copper sulfate! If I can remember, I will post after cleaning pictures so you can see how it came out.
I will post another picture of the worst part of the roof.Worst Part of Roof
Tim Mecum
Clear Choice Cleaning
Clearchoicepros.com

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 952
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it leak? The funny thing is that some people would KILL to have their roof look like that. The "Patina" of the dirt and mold makes it look very old.

Are they open valleys? I see the clean trail on the edge of the dormer to the left, and that would seem to indicate that there is some exposed copper there. The water running down the roof picks up some of the copper salts and that is what kills the algae. You could try and spray is down with a solution of copper sulfate which is basically what you end with when you pour water over the copper. Just a bit stronger of course. It would take some time for it to kill the algae, and you would want to wait until it is hot and dry to spray it on. It would not harm the bushes any more than what is currently coming down on them. good luck.

I do know that there are some products that will clean the slates, but I don't really know how long they take to work.

Clear_choice_cleaning (Clear_choice_cleaning)
Username: Clear_choice_cleaning

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got directed to this site from another forum on roof cleaning, told you are THE EXPERTS!
I have a slate roof to clean, the homeowner doesn't want chlorine used because of the possible effect on the copper flashings or valleys. What can be done to not only kill the algae and moss growing on it without destroying the copper too!
Would rinsing rather soon after spraying keep this from eating up the copper? Would polishing the copper afterward make any difference?
ANY advice your willing to give is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Tim Mecum
Clear Choice Cleaning
Clearchoicepros.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration