Calculation of roof coverage with slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Calculation of roof coverage with slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if someone could do some math for me. We are going to build a garage and will use slate remaining from the house slate job. The remaining slate is as follows:

1) 18" x 12" slates = 1835 of them
2) 18" x 10" slates = 2130 of them
3) 156 ridge slates

What size of roof, square-footage-wise, can we make the garage roof?

Thank you.

TonyEriePA
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope this is right!? The 18" slates should have a headlap of 3" (or 4" if a low slope roof)which means they'll have an exposed (visible) length of ~7.5". The visible widths will be 12" and 10", respectively. The visible area for each slate will be the product of visible length times width to give you sq inches which, when divided by 144 sq inches (for every sq foot), will give you the area in sq feet for each slate (averages ~0.6 sq feet). Then you'll multiply that by the number of slate, excluding the ridge slate which you'll need the 156 or more elsewhere. So that'll give you 1146 sq ft of coverage with the 12" slate and 1109 sq ft of coverage with the 10" slate, so a total of roughly 2250 sq ft are possible, or roughly 22.5 squares, maybe 5-10% less to allow for starters, breakages and cutting, etc. That would be a mighty big garage if my math is correct!

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Tony for the calculations. We put roughly 30 squares of slate on the home. I need to keep some slate for repairs, replacement, etc, but I don't know what the percentage would be for that. So out of your calculation of 22.5 squares, some of that must be held back. Any idea what percentage is used as a rule of thumb?

TonyEriePA
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

5% would be reasonable

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration